Reinstalling Mandriva without losing home data

Edd

Is it possible for me to do a clean install of Mandriva 2005 without formatting my home directory? If so, how do I do it? Also, if it ent possible, is there any way I can back up my home directory from the command prompt (failsafe) because I can't get onto Linux.

Yes it is, provided that you already have a separate partition for /home.

When installing, tell diskdrake to keep the /home partition unformatted, and at the end of the installation pick up a different username.

You can simply backup all the data in your /home on another network drive, or CD, or DVD, or...

You will need a liveCD for that (Kanotix is a brilliant one).

Why not use one of the live CDs such as knoppix or pclinuxos to access your Home partition and then burn it to a cdrom ???. There are many others to choose from.

Then you can do a complete reinstall, only this time making sure you actually really create a /home partition which I suspect you did not do originally. When you have reinstalled then it is a simple matter to copy the saved home data into the new /home.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn