NVIDIA geforce 6600 gt Problems

Guest MoExius

Guest MoExius

Hello to evrybody!!!! I just install a couple of days ago Mandrake LE 2005. So im quite new in the linux world. I've got a Nvidia card 6600 gt 128 ddr3 mg. when i was installing Mandrake and i rach the point where i had to select my video card i didnt know with one so i selected geforce ddr (generic). After everything is finished i go to Nvidia web site and i download this update NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-1.0-7667.tar.gz. Is it that the right driver? Or should it this one NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run?

Well i've download both and i dont know how to install the first one so i discart it. With the secong one i've readed in this same forum a topic from a guy who shows how to do it. Honestly i tried to do like he said. I was unabled. Something seems to be worng with my kernel-source. The version i have installed is kernel-source-2.6-2.6.11-6mdk.

I really do need some help. I cannot stand the point that i cannot do something.

Thank you very much in advance.

[moved from Games by spinynorman]

Hello to evrybody!!!! I just install a couple of days ago Mandrake LE 2005. So im quite new in the linux world. I've got a Nvidia card 6600 gt 128 ddr3 mg. when i was installing Mandrake and i rach the point where i had to select my video card i didnt know with one so i selected geforce ddr (generic). After everything is finished i go to Nvidia web site and i download this update NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-1.0-7667.tar.gz. Is it that the right driver? Or should it this one NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run?
You need the Linux driver cause it's Mandriva (not Mandrake anymore) Linux. The other one is for FreeBSD systems. You can delete it.
Well i've download both and i dont know how to install the first one so i discart it. With the secong one i've readed in this same forum a topic from a guy who shows how to do it. Honestly i tried to do like he said. I was unabled. Something seems to be worng with my kernel-source. The version i have installed is kernel-source-2.6-2.6.11-6mdk.
Next time please be more specific. Noone can help you if you just write "I was unable to do it". So please write what you did exatly. If something goes wrong post error messages.

The kernel source version must match with the version of the kernel you are using. The version of the kernel source is in this case kernel-source-2.6-2.6.11-6mdk.

To see what version of kernel you are using type

uname -r

in the command line.

I really do need some help. I cannot stand the point that i cannot do something.
Here's a detailed tutorial for nvidia driver installs: Mandraketips.4.free

Guest MoExius

Thanks for you advice and sorry for my ignorance. I will try to do the installation tonight. So i'll tell you all later how it went.

Thanks again.

Edited by MoExius