Eeek! DShield is saying that I am an attacker!

foot

Just went onto DShield and its reporting that my IP was registered as having attacked / attempted access on another machine..well once, two weeks ago..and the source port is registered as my bittorrent port (and the target as 59595)..could this be anything to worry about? My services are restricted as much as I can (I think) and I always enable firestarter as one of the first things I do (plus ICMP filtering) and I've followed the security howto...

:( :( :(

I would guess nothing to worry about. Just a badly configured firewall that reported you falsely

To be sure check for open ports on your system (with netstat or nmap). Buy a router if you don't already own one and don't install anything you don't know where it came from. :)

Could be the other person was also on the same torrent but didnt have the ports open, which would cause azureus, or whatever your client is, to try and connect to download from him, which of course wouldnt work as his firewall was blocking bittorrent.

Nothing to worry about really. Bittorrent works on a what you give is what you get, his firewall wasnt letting people connect to get stuff, so he wouldnt be getting much download himself at all.

iphitus

edit: a look on dshield has me reported as 'attacking' 27 times, all on the base bittorrent port. Just selfish leechers on the torrent who dont want to share with me. I know my server's clean, I check it's logs, and other things frequently.

Edited by iphitus