10.1 > 2005 Install errors[Solved]

Edd

I did all the easy-URPMI business, and it all downloaded fine, but when I ran "urpmi --auto-select --auto" It went and then got this error at the end:

Installation failed:
       libXfixes.so.3 is needed by libgtk+2.0_0-devel-2.6.4-2mdk
       devel(libXfixes) is needed by libgtk+2.0_0-devel-2.6.4-2mdk
       rpm >= 4.2.3-7mdk is needed by perl-URPM-1.11-1mdk
       libXfixes.so.3 is needed by libgtk+-x11-2.0_0-2.6.4-2mdk
       rpm >= 4.2.3-9mdk is needed by rpmtools-5.0.20-1mdk
       libXfixes.so.3 is needed by gtk+2.0-2.6.4-2mdk
3 installation transactions failed:
       file /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth from install of xorg-x11-xauth-6.8.2-7.1.102mdk conflicts with file from package xorg-x11-6.7.0-4.3.101mdk
       xorg-x11-xauth is needed by xorg-x11-6.8.2-7.1.102mdk
       /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth is needed by (installed) mkxauth-1.7-8mdk
       libXfixes.so.3 is needed by libgtk+2.0_0-devel-2.6.4-2mdk
       devel(libXfixes) is needed by libgtk+2.0_0-devel-2.6.4-2mdk
       rpm >= 4.2.3-7mdk is needed by perl-URPM-1.11-1mdk
       libXfixes.so.3 is needed by libgtk+-x11-2.0_0-2.6.4-2mdk
       rpm >= 4.2.3-9mdk is needed by rpmtools-5.0.20-1mdk
       libXfixes.so.3 is needed by gtk+2.0-2.6.4-2mdk

What would be the best way to combat this problem? Just go through and install each one individually or is there a "proper" way of doing it?

Thanks!

Edited by Edd

Have you got all the 2005 sources installed? You should have:

main

contrib

jpackage

updates

plf-free

plf-nonfree

this should satisfy all the dependencies, and running urpmi --auto-select --auto will take care of the rest.

Well I thought I had it all downloaded. I tried to run it again, to make sure and I got this error:

[root@localhost edd]# urpmi.addmedia jpackage ftp://ftp.clinet.fi/pub/mirrors/Mandrake-linux/official/2005/i586/media/jpackage with media_info/hdlist.cz
Can't locate URPM.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm line 16.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm line 16.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/urpmi.addmedia line 24.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/urpmi.addmedia line 24.

I get the same error multiple times when I enter a block of commands from the easy-URPMI. I tried doing "urpmi.removemedia -a" but I got:

[root@localhost edd]# urpmi.removemedia -a
Can't locate URPM.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm line 16.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm line 16.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/urpmi.removemedia line 24.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/urpmi.removemedia line 24

Any ideas?

Try using the Software Media Manager instead to remove the sources (System/Configuration/Packaging/Software Media Manager), and then add them again using easyurpmi.

You could try this, although I've never done it, so suggest copying the files first before you remove.

In /var/lib/urpmi is where all the sources seem to exist. Suggest removing say, updates, to a different folder, and then attempt adding ONLY updates again using the easyurpmi. If it adds, then you can safely remove the others as well and add again.

There will be a number of files that relate to each source. You'll see what I mean when you take a look in there!

It still gave me the same error. I moved hdlist.updates.cz and synthesis.hdlist.updates.cz out of the folder, before retrying. What else can I try?

There's also list.updates and names.updates - assume you removed these as well? When you tried to add updates afterwards, what error did you get?

What might actually be worth doing, is move everything out of this directory, so that you have copies of it, and then try running Software Media Manager afterwards (or urpmi.removemedia -a to make sure it's clear if you can't get in with Software Media Manager). The list should be blank if everything is removed, and then try adding the sources again. You can always copy the files back if it doesn't work.

I never experienced this problem when I did my upgrade, so not sure what's happening. Have you tried getting into Install Software or Remove Software as well? Does it behave the same has Software Media Manager?

Ok I moved it all out and tried again. The software thing will not load - nor will the control panel, software installation, uninstallation etc.If I run urpmi.removemedia -a I get the error:

[root@localhost edd]# urpmi.removemedia -a
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/urpmi.removemedia line 24.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/urpmi.removemedia line 24.

And this error when I try adding more URPMI thingies:

[root@localhost edd]# urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.clinet.fi/pub/mirrors/Mandrake-linux/official/2005/i586/media/contrib with media_info/hdlist.cz
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/urpmi.addmedia line 24.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/urpmi.addmedia line 24.

Is there anything i can do? I mean at worst, can I try reverse back to 10.1?

Upgrading over the top, nah you shouldn't lose any files.

It seems there's a problem with perl, I think I saw a post on this recently, so you might be able to get some info on that. Although I remember vaguely, that maybe they did a complete reinstall when perl got trashed somehow.

Okkk I have downloaded and installed version 2005 from the DVD. My laptop will boot into Linux, but once the KDE splash screen disappears, the system freezes up after a few seconds and I have to turn my laptop off by holding the power button. You said I needed to update my Kernel, and I reckon that is why. But how can I update my Kernel if it keeps freezing?