problem with XMMS being tiny [solved]

thinhla

I setup my machine using Easy URPMI tutorial for all the media.

I download couple of XMMS packages and install onto the system. Everything went fine. But when I try to start the program, it doesn't seem to start immediately at all. I see a XMMS bar on the panel but not the program on the desktop. So I wait.

I look at Workspace switcher and I notice there's a tiny thing on top left conner which turns out to be my XMMS program sitting so tiny there. I use "Move" command by right clicking on XMMS bar on the panel to move it into the middle of desktop workspace. But still no luck, it doesn't show up and seems like to be a 1x1 pixel.

I click around for install Nautilus, Gnome terminal and all of sudden the XMMS program pops up. It plays just fine after all.

The problem happens again as soon as I close XMMS and trying to restart it. Is this a bug? Should I try to compile from source?

Another side question: LE2005 doesn't seem to include XMMS at all, does it? I find the one that comes with 10.1 is very nice and stable as it seems.

Xmms is in main (xmms-1.2.10-16mdk.i586.rpm) for le2005. If you are looking for a rpm try this: http://rpm.pbone.net/

I would guess a bug. Uninstall, remove the config files from /home/your name and install the package for le2005.

That's what I installed and plus the libxmms packages from main. Has anyone have the same problem with that particular XMMS package under LE2005.

I can go ahead and installed from source but want to confirm with anwyone having the same problem.

Anwyay, I removed the xmms-1.2.10-16mdk.i586.rpm and libxmms associated with it. Recompiled from source an installed it into /usr/local/xmms

Now it's almost fixed since the program still takes considerable amount of time to load. (about 30s or more.... really boring waiting) I suspect it loads something that's not available and timeout but I really don't know that for sure.

How do we instlall somehing to support midi input when you compile from source? When I do installing from the LE2005 package it's just a matter of rpm xmms-midi pagekage and other depencies like timidity++ packages but from source it's a bit different I believe.

You know, I just installed xmms (the same package) in my Mandriva 2005 LE and I experienced none of the problems you experienced. xmms runs as snappy as before.

Have you try running it from a console? Maybe there is some library that is not loaded properly. Xmms I think requires libgtk+1.2 I think.

Also, have you tried creating a new user and see if xmms is having similar problems in that user?

As I said before, I compile it from the souce and still somehow it doesn't solve the problem. Starting a program takes forever. You know what I mean.

DragonMage, maybe it's just hardware problem conflict that causes the problems. When I compiled it from source, I installed both libgtk+ and it devel packages and start the program from command line.

Anyway, I removed it completely from my computer with associated packages and libraries.

I installed Beep Media Player (look and feel the same as XMMS, not to mention that it's even better in term of sound quality)

Here are the packages that I install in order from contrib for Beep Media Player

libid3_3.8_3-3.8.3-7mdk.i586 (from main)

libbeep-media-player2-0.9.7-6mdk.i586

beep-media-player-0.9.7-6mdk.i586

beep-media-player-extra-plugins-0.2.2-2mdk.i586

beep-media-player-esd-0.9.7-6mdk.i586

Problems SOLVED. Thanks all.

Marked the thread Solved - Artificial Intelligence

Edited by Artificial Intelligence