How to access printer? [solved]

smileychgo

Hi - I have a small home network and I need to be able to print from my linux machine. The printer is an HP which is hooked up to a print server which is connected to a Linksys router. The other pcs are WinXP's and connected to the router as well. I have a cable connection.

What do I need to do to access the printer?

Thanks,

Smiley

Wait a minute, is this HP Printer a network printer (that is, a stand alone printer with its own IP address and such?) or is this HP Printer connected to a computer that acts as a print server?

Or even worse, is the Linksys router acts as a print server (there are several models of routers that can act as a print server)?

Usually, Printerdrake is smart enough to detect network printers if it is connected to a computer acting a print server (if it is Windows based, make sure you enable the print sharing). If the print server is linux based, cups will automatically make it available to all Linux based computers in the network. Stand alone network printer is a bit tricky, but doable, as long as you select expert mode in the Printerdrake menu. Now router acting as print server is a lot trickier so you have to read the router's manual in order to find out how to configure it.

Wait a minute, is this HP Printer a network printer (that is, a stand alone printer with its own IP address and such?) or is this HP Printer connected to a computer that acts as a print server?

Or even worse, is the Linksys router acts as a print server (there are several models of routers that can act as a print server)?

Usually, Printerdrake is smart enough to detect network printers if it is connected to a computer acting a print server (if it is Windows based, make sure you enable the print sharing). If the print server is linux based, cups will automatically make it available to all Linux based computers in the network. Stand alone network printer is a bit tricky, but doable, as long as you select expert mode in the Printerdrake menu. Now router acting as print server is a lot trickier so you have to read the router's manual in order to find out how to configure it.

Hey guys - I think I may be confusing people so let me start over. I have a router serving as the gateway for the network. It's not acting as a print server. In addition to the router, I also have a Jetdirect 300x print server which is my printer (HP 841C) is connected to. I have it set up this way so I won't have to leave any of the other computers on to print. Now, what I'm trying to do is set another computer with Linux installed on it and be able to print from it also. I've tried to add a printer from Mandrake Control Center but it's not working. I go through the wizard and get as far as doing the test page but it does not print. What am I doing wrong? Also, when it ask me to select the port the printer is on, how do I find out that? The choices were parallel #0, #1, and #2.

I'm hoping some can help because I don't want to buy another printer just to print from the Linux machine.

Thanks again.

Smiley