Auto IPv6 Address

sawan

I have installed Mandrake 10.1.

The problem I am having is that my machine automatically takes an IPv6 Address (Link Local) instead of receiving a IPv4 address from the DHCP server.

My machine is in dual boot with Windows XP, which automatically takes the IPv4 address from DHCP.

SO how do I set Mandrake to do the same. I tried using "mcc" and set it to take address automatically from BOOTP/DHCP but I dont knnow why it takes a IPv6 address which is not supported by my network.

Thanks a lot for suggestions.

You can disable ipv6 by adding the following line to your /etc/modprobe.conf

alias net-pf-10 off

if you're using Firefox, you can also disable ipv6 in Firefox by typing about:config in the url bar, and then filtering for ipv6 and then setting the option to True by double clicking it.

Did you have an IP address previously when ipv6 was enabled?

If you type "ifup eth0" what error message is returned? Also can you type "ifconfig" and post the results.

Earlier I was receiving IPv4 address, then I messed up with some settings. (I can't figure out what)

ifup eth0 gives
/sbin/ifup: line 466: 3788 Hangup
/etc/init.d/tmdns reload >/dev/null 2>&1

ifconfig eth0 gives
eth0 Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric: 1
RX packets:0 erros:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions: 0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0  ( 0.0 B) TX bytes:0 ( 0.0 B)
Interrupt:5 Base address: 0xf00

lo Link encap: Local Loopback
inet addr: 127.0.0.1 Mask: 255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU: 16436 Metric:1
RX packets:74 erros:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:74 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions: 0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:5100  ( 4.9 Kb) TX bytes:5100 ( 4.9 Kb)

Edited by sawan

For some reason, you're not getting an IP Address. I'd suggest running harddrake (System/Configuration/Hardware/HardDrake) and then select the network card, and Run Config.

Change from DHCP to static, and use an IP address/Subnet Mask/Default Gateway in the range of your router that issues the DHCP address. I've listed an example IP config below:

IP - 192.168.1.50

SN - 255.255.255.0

DG - 192.168.1.1

DNS1 - ISP DNS IP

DNS2 - ISP DNS IP

The only other options I set are hostname. I leave search domain and zeroconf blank. Re-run ifconfig to check it's assigned OK, and then ping the router to see if you get a response.

I don't know if you are having trouble with IPV6 right now I'm on about 5 hours of sleep, so if I read the first couple of posts correctly and you want to disable IPV6 please fullow this guide from another forum ( ubuntu forum to be exact)

Click Here

Of couse just take the synaptic stuff out and replace it with MCC. this is what I did to get mine to stop and get my internet back up. I think I posted it somewhere in this forum.... I'll try and find it.

I read the post on the link you gave. My resol.conf was properly set already.

Still I am not able to connect to the network. I cannot telnet or ssh to local servers. It gives no route to host message. All this works fine when i reboot the same machine in WIndows XP.

I ran ethtool eth0. Its last line read "Link detected: NO"

Thanks for replying.