Guest kerrymryan

I am running a new pc with the following specs:

Asus P4C800-E Delux motherboard

Intel P4 3.2 GHz processor

Radeon 9600se video card

2 x 200 GIG IDE Western Digital hard drives

4 x 1GB Kingston ram

I have tried both Mandrake 10.0 as well as the new Mandriva 10.2 LE

The issue I'm having is that the computer will not perform properly with 4 GIGs of ram in it. It seems the limit is only 2 GIGs. Once I add the 3rd or 4th stick of Ram, the computer goes from SUPER performance to something that would resemble an old 486DX or something. I have tried booting with a variety of Kernels, all of which are suppose to support up to 4GIGs of memory.

I am certain this must be an issue with Linux, since I (for test purposes) installed XP Professional, and it run's perfectly with the 4 x 1GIG sticks or memory.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appriciated... this has been about two weeks now of troubleshooting, with no luck...

Thanks,

Kerry

Windows uses memory differently from Linux. It starts from the bottom an fills it up. Linux starts from the top and dribbles down. So Linux starts at 4 G and gets problems and Windows at 0 and has no problems. I think it is a problem with your motherboard and that it doesn't 'really' support 4Gig (although there are 4 slots for 1 G sticks). Better email them for an explanation.