itunes music store replacement (solved)

heather1113

I have a dual boot system but at this point only my roomate uses the Windows drive and I'm not really missing Windows except for one thing. I got to really like using itunes. I have found a replacement to play the mp3's (Juk) but still haven't found a replacement for the music store part. I currently use Limewire but, and this is no judgment against anyone else, I feel guilty downloading music from there since I'm a little unsure about the legality of it. Also the quality isn't that great even though I try to get the highest bitrate possible.

So, my question is what do other people use? I've heard of other subscription type of services only they're web based has anyone tried any? If so do you have a recommendation?

Thank you

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by heather1113

Guest duffmckagan

I have come across GTK Gnutella.

But Limewire is the best for tranfers.

I don't think that it is legal to download MP3s off Limewire.

I use Limewire to transfer files between my Laptop and the Desktop computer through the Internet.

There is itunes for linux. It used to be called pymusique but now it's sharpmusique: http://nanocrew.net/?page_id=63

Disclaimer: I haven't tried it.

I had thought that it could be a good replacement but then I downloaded it. Unfortunately it has no readme or documentation of any kind and it doesn't install the usual way :wall: . After searching this is all I could find:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/sh...831#post1714831

Thanks for the tip though, it was a good idea.

There just has to be something legal and not so headache inducing. I almost wonder if I should just stick with Limewire. Well, after posting this I am going to go in search of web based solutions. I'll post my results that way if someone else is having the same problem I can save them some work.

Well , I decided to ignore my conscience for the time being and use Limewire. I download so few songs anyway so the web based options for the most part won't work after all. I found one, eMusic, that charges $9.99 per month for 40 mp3 downloads and there is no way that would be financially prudent for me since I don't even download half that much. I also discovered that itunes runs pretty well, slow but well, in Crossover Office which I already owned. So I'm am probably going to use that as well once I figure out how to convert the songs to mp3's from within Linux (there's a good piece of software for Windows but I don't want to boot over) .

So.....my advice for anyone in the same predicament:

If you're not intimidated by installing difficult software, unlike me, try SharpMusique since it seems to be a great program.

If the 1st solution does not apply to you but you still want to download with itunes then do what I did and install Crossover Office (I needed it for other things anyway) and use itunes from there

At this point none of the web based services are a very viable option for the Linux user who who needs per songs charges and up to date mainstream music.

If you're not bothered by the legality of it then use any number of free software options available for our favorite operating system like Limewire, GTK Gnutella, PySoulSeek/Soulseek, too many others to name.

OK now that this is solved does anyone know I go about changing the title to include the word solved like I've seen on other threads?

Thank you for the help and for reading this incredibly long winded post.

:thanks: