Newbie needs help installing Mandriva Linux LE2005

smileychgo

Hello guys - I'm totally new in Mandriva Linux and interested in installing this operating system. However I'm having difficulties already. I downloaded the dvd.iso version and put it on a dvd-r. The file is 2.04gb. When I insert the disc I get the welcome to mandrakelinux (attached). Then I click on the option to Install MandrakeLinux but nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

My computer specs are: Dell Dimension 4100, 250gb h/d, 512mb ram, floppy, cd drive and dvd burner. Currently I have WinXP Home installed.

I tried booting from the dvd drive but it gives me a boot error - it says invalid boot diskette - insert BOOT diskette in A; although the cd rom is set to the first boot device in the BIOS.

Please help. Thanks.

Smiley

post-11894-1120614939_thumb.jpg

did you copy the .iso to the dvd or create an iso dvd ?

when you download an ISO file it needs to be burnt onto the cd/dvd differently that just coping data on the disk ,.

did you copy the .iso to the dvd or create an iso dvd ?

when you download an ISO file it needs to be  burnt onto the cd/dvd differently that just coping data on the disk ,.

Hi devries and ddmcse,

Thanks for responding back. I no longer have the iso file as it burned successfully to the dvd. I did not burn it as a data disc. I double clicked on the iso file and it opened up Roxio to burn it.

I tried using the md5 program you linked to but nothing happens when I insert the dvd.

Smiley

how many drives do you have

I tried booting from the dvd drive but it gives me a boot error - it says invalid boot diskette - insert BOOT diskette in A; although the cd rom is set to the first boot device in the BIOS.

you can't boot a dvd from a cd rom drive

check your bios for boot options you need to get the dvd rom set as the 1st boot device

Edited by ddmcse

What might be worth trying is settings the DVD to be the master, and the CD-ROM as the slave if you're experiencing boot problems.

On one of the systems I have, as far as I know I can boot from either without having to change from master to slave, etc.

i am pretty sure i can boot from both also.

i dont recall if i have a boot menu or have to change in the bios .

do you know how to change master /slave settings?

this shows a hard drive but it's basically the same for a cd/dvd drive one needs to be set as master one as slave ...assuming they are on the same ide controller/ ribbon

post-10346-1120664765_thumb.jpg

Edited by ddmcse

i am pretty sure i can boot from both also.

i dont recall if i have a boot menu or have to change in the bios .

do you know how to change master /slave settings?

this shows a hard drive but it's basically the same for a cd/dvd drive one needs to be set as master one as slave ...assuming they are on the same ide controller/ ribbon

Hi - yes I know how to change the settings. I'll give it a try.

Will post back when I get home.

Smiley

I know I can't boot a dvd from cd rom drive and I never tried to do that.  I was trying to boot from the dvd burner.  The only option(s) I have in the BIOS is atapi cd rom, floppy, and ide.  There's not one for the dvd burner.

AFAIK in older BIOS (at least I know mine does this) the boot option atapi CDrom covers all 5.25 optical drives, i.e. CD Roms and DVD Roms, all you should need to worry about is the whether it is the Master or slave.

Another possibility, maybe that two drives are on the same ribbon set to slave, the BIOS will only recognize the drive at the end of the ribbon.