Where is the Kernel? [solved]

Hi.

I was installing a Wireless Network Adapter on my LE2005 and it recognises my card (at PCMCIA) but doesn't find any drivers for it. I try to manually load the driver, and the right driver is in the list, but when i choose it, it comes back and asks if i want to use the default driver or load it myself.

I've got a driver pack for Linux from my wireless adapter manufacturer (A-Link) but in the readme file it says i have to do:

$make -C /path/to/source SUBDIRS=$PWD modules

Where /path/to/source is the path to the source directory for the (configured and built) target kernel.

I don't know what to put to that "/path/to/source". So i'm asking, where is my kernel.

I'm just not a Linux expert.

Edited by Murda

[rolf@localhost ~]$ urpmq kernel-source 
no package named kernel-source 
The following packages contain kernel-source: 
kernel-source-2.6 
kernel-source-stripped-2.6 
openafs-kernel-source 
[rolf@localhost ~]$ uname -r 
2.6.11-6mdk

The first command gives me a list of known packages (what is in configured urpmi sources) named kernel source. The second command tells me the kernel that is running. The kernel-source package has all the source code needed to build the kernel. The package, kernel-source-stripped, is much smaller but is supposed to contain enough code to build drivers. However, there have been some problems reported with the full source needed to build certain drivers, so I would recommend installing the full source. In this case, since the version of my running kernel is 2.6, I would install it, as root, with

urpmi kernel-source-2.6

You could also look in Software Manager for kernel-source packages. If there has been an update to the kernel and kernel-source packages, you will either have to update your kernel or make sure you give urpmi the full version of the kernel-source rpm that matches your running kernel, as urpmi will upgrade to the latest known kernel-source automatically.

There's no need to build a kernel to build a driver. Just make sure the kernel you are running and the kernel-source have the same version.

$ rpm -qa | grep kernel
nvidia-kernel-2.6.11-6mdk-7174-1mdk
kernel-2.6.11.6mdk-1-1mdk  <===
kernel-source-2.6-2.6.11-6mdk  <===