ProFTPD, changing port

omcaree

Hey all,

I've just started up my home FTP server using ProFTPD in Mandriva 2005LE. Set up firewall and router to allow port 21 through, and everything worked fine.

After a few day I decided to change the port, for a little more security. Changed the port in proftpd.conf, changed port in firewall config and changed port on router, but when I try connecting from a reomte computer it fails to connect (shows up in proftpd logs as normal up to the point where the "LIST" command usually appears, at this point I recieve either an error, or just a hang in the client application, and no further entries in the log). very occasionally it'll connect very slowly with "PORT" commands showing up in the logs, which dont normally appear.

I tried setting a range of passive ports and opening these in firewall and router, and this has not helped. As soon as i set the port back to 21 it all works again.

Have i missed something obvious here or should this work?

If i've missed anything then please tell me what, and if this should work then any help troubleshooting would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Owen

PS. I did remember to restart the server everytime i make a change (as i have previously forgotten to do this with other changes only to be informed that that was the reason)

Are you running Proftpd as a stand alone server?

I had the same problem with Proftpd. A friend told me that he was able to change ports, as long as he wasn't running it as a stand alone, but since I needed the stand alone, I didn't bother checking it out. Might be worth a shot for you. Eventually, I ended up switching to Vsftpd.

Edited by kmc77

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not replying sooner, been away from my box.

Cheers for replies, I've come to the same conclusion as kmc77 and switched to vsftpd.

Just as easy to use, and with seperate user config files (handy).

Cheers

Owen Mc