Unable to use Mad Dog USB DVD drive [solved]

lrsach01

You should just plug it in to a USB slot. Mandrake should detect it as a scsi device so there should be a /dev/sda (or /dev/sdb or whatever) automatically. If you are lucky, then there will be a new icon coming up in your desktop. Put a data CD inside it and check whether it reads the CD.

Good luck.

If /dev/sdb appears, then it's half way there. All you need to do is to edit your /etc/fstab files so that it's mountable. Add a line like this.

/dev/sdb /mnt/cdrom2 iso9660 user,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

BTW, maybe it's already mountable. Is there a new directory in your /mnt directory? Maybe it's recognized as a flash drive or hard drive or something?

Also, if you are using KDE, you need to configure your desktop so that the desktop shows not just mounted CD-ROMs but also unmounted ones. Right click on the desktop, then select Configure Desktop. Select Behavior on the left side, then select the Device Icons folder. Put a checkmark on all the boxes, then select OK.

If /dev/sdb appears, then it's half way there. All you need to do is to edit your /etc/fstab files so that it's mountable. Add a line like this.

/dev/sdb /mnt/cdrom2 iso9660 user,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

BTW, maybe it's already mountable. Is there a new directory in your /mnt directory? Maybe it's recognized as a flash drive or hard drive or something?

There wasn't a new directory in /mnt. I added the indicated code to fstab and almost have enverything working. I can read dvds and cds as long as I unmount (so a little more to do than I want...silly yes....but oh well). Is there any way to get this working through supermount? As much as I hate to say it, I would like to get it working like it does in windows. And I still can't get K3B to recognize the drive....but that's another group...

As much as I hate to say it, I would like to get it working like it does in windows. And I still can't get K3B to recognize the drive....but that's another group...

That's Mandriva 2005LE "plus", which means kernel 2.6.11, with udev and hal running. Using KDE 3.4.0+ you will have an icon on your desktop whenever you insert a medium, and if you add ivman you can define a default automatic action, depending on the media type.

For the burning part, you'd better ask at the K3B mailing lists. One reasonable try is using "kdesu kcmshell k3bsetup2" and enabling the "burning" usergroup (which you have to create yourself previously via MCC).

Who's ready for more fun? :)

OK, I was able to read dvds with the Mad Dog dvd burner under 10.1. Being the masochist I am, I deleted my old system and installed 2005 LE!

NOW....when I plug the burner into the USB slot, nothing happens. I tried to make a link to it from the desk top and found "/dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/cd" and mounted as "/mnt/cdrom1."

How ever, when I try to access the drive I get the following:

Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: block device /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/cd is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/cd,
or too many mounted file systems

Now what?

Just so you know, my fstab file looks like this"

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/sda6 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/sda8 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom iso9660 user,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/sda2 /mnt/win_c ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0
/dev/sda5 /mnt/win_d vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/sda7 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/scsi/host5/bus0/target0/lun0/cd /mnt/cdrom1             auto    pamconsole,exec,noauto,utf8,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,managed 0 0

OK...Solved...mostly...I had to tweak my fstab. I ended up using MCC to make the drive "supermounted." It works! Well, almost. I tried K3B to burn a back data dvd. Things seemed to go ok. When I went to check the disk, it failed in every drive I tried. In all of them, the disk just wouldn't be recognised. Even the drive that burned it had problems. In the Mad Dog, the disk would should the directories but only one of the three. I guess I have some tweaking yet to do.