SuSE9.3 and sound card [solved]

The problem I'm about to describe I was able to fix in Mandriva Control Center by simply switching the driver from the alternative driver snd-es1371 to the default drivier es1371 (Creative Soundblaster 16 PCI sound card):

In both distros MDV2005LE (solved) and SuSE9.3, I am getting a loud hissing sound in my speakers, and the audio is soft and overwhelmed by it. I solved the problem very easily in Mandriva by choosing the default driver.

I"ve spent all afternoon trying to do this in SuSE9.3 by running as root alsaconf and by using the GUI way with Yast, with no luck. Neither allows me to change the driver form snd-es1371 to the default es1371.

Does anyone know a way that I can do this? If you give command lines, please be thorough with step-by-step instructions, as I'm bad in "filling in the blanks".

Thanks in advance to any and all helpful replies....and my appreciation.

Richard

Edited by lawsonrc

I tried this, but I might have done it wrong. The sound file in /etc/modprobe.d looks like this:

alias snd-card-0 snd ens1371

alias sound-slot-0 snd-ens1371

I edited the file to look like this:

alias snd-card-0 ens1371

alias sound-slot-0 ens1371

Unfortunately, this did not completely solve the problem...I still have the loud hissing sound in the speakers.

Do I need to do further editing, such as changing snd-card-0 to card-0?

Once again, thanks Lowe.

Richard

I remember a post a little while ago about Creative Sound cards, that mentioned that when they enabled digital audio, I think they did it in alsaconf, that the sound then improved.

They didn't mention a hissing noise, so not sure if this helps at all. But worth a shot.....

Thanks ianw1974. I appreciate your suggestion.

I guess I forgot to mention that I've run alsaconf several times, and to no avail. Both alsaconf and Yast, when used for configuration, have the same loud "hiss" coming from the speakers. So when I'm not using an application with sound, the loud hissing sound is very annoying. (Please read more details in the posts I posted above).

For SuSE9.3, it turned out not to be a driver problem.

A young 18 year old "Genius" was able to solve this problem by opening AlsaMixer and muting IEC 958 and IEC 958 1, then turning up 3dControl and PCM (along of course with the Master Volume).

Afterwards I opened KMixer, looked through the three tabs to see how to do it the GUI/mouse way.

I hope this will help others who may use this card and have this loud static/hissing sound.

Thanks to all who helped with suggestions.

Richard