Move grub

raysr

I had a dual-boot setup, Xandros/Mandriva. Xandros was on hda, Mandriva is on hdb. Oh, this is a dual drive also. I want to use hda(the one Xandros was on) for a slave. The bootloader is on hda, the drive that Mandriva is not. Is there a way to move grub to hdb, where Mandriva is installed and then use the other drive as a slave?? Thanks.

When you change the slave to master and master to slave, the device names for the partitions in /etc/fstab will change. hda becomes hdb and vice versa, for all instances. Also, in /boot/grub/menu.lst, the device names will have to be changed. Once this has been done and the drives switched, it will be unbootable. You could boot CD1 to command line in rescue mode and install grub from the grub shell. See info grub It will look like this, if your / partition is now hda1:

# grub
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit
#

This tells grub where your /boot directory is and to install the bootloader to the MBR.

make sure that the jumpers for your main harddisk are set correctly. cable-select is sometimes more problematic than defining the drive as master or slave directly through the jumpers. and take a look at the hdd boot procedure in your bios.

make sure that the jumpers for your main harddisk are set correctly. cable-select is sometimes more problematic than defining the drive as master or slave directly through the jumpers. and take a look at the hdd boot procedure in your bios.

I think what I really need to do is move Mandriva to the other drive. Mandriva is on an old drive and the other is fairly new and larger. I see in googlle search it can be done. If I hadn't had such a problem getting MDK the way I want it I'd just reinstall on the other drive.