installing LE2005 alongside another distro

null

I have an FC3 box, and want to try out LE2005. I have the mandriva 2005 CDs (coverdiscs from Linux Format magazine). I have dual-booted linux & windows a couple of times, but in the past 2 years, I've kept separate boxes for linux & windows. Now I want to try 2 linux distros on one box.

When I install LE2005 on my FC3 box, will I end up with 2 working distros? Will my /home in FC3 be the same /home that LE2005 uses? Or do they have to be separate. If my FC3 home is /home/null, then wouldn't my LE2005 be the same (if I have the same user name)?

I'm a little hesitant to mess with a working FC3 box. Its my main machine, and I really like it. Any pointers, or things to watch out for?

If you don't want to play with headaches, then give Mandriva its own partition(s), including /home. Swap can be shared without any issue.

I always set up identical names in the local partitions. Remember, when you mount those same partitions in the other distro, everything starts with /mnt, so they are not the same.

For example, my scheme would be /, /home, /usr, swap, /mnt/kubuntu/, /mnt/kubuntu/home, /mnt/kubuntu/usr, and so on. From Kubuntu it reads: /, /home, /usr, /mnt/mandriva/, /mnt/mandriva/home, /mnt/mandriva/usr.

setting up a dual-boot linux system is not really a problem. first, make sure that you have enough free space left on your hdd. then fire up mandriva and manually partition the hdds free space for an additional /root environment. (oh... backup important data on /home. just in case something goes wrong. you never know)

contrary to dan, i don't recommend a seperate /home partition. you can share the /home partition although you should use different user names (that is what i use on my double to quadruple boot linux systems). if you use the same user names, you will encounter some trouble as fedora and mandriva config files are not 100% compatible (personal experience).

when the installation is complete, skip the bootloader installation. instead, alter the fc3 grub menu. way easier than messing around with lilo. ;)

I think I have a 200GB hard drive in this box. When I click on My Computer and then File System, it shows that Home Folder has 146.7GB free, and FileSystem has 9.6GB free.

How do I see a nice graphical pic of how my machine is partitioned? When I installed FC3 I tried to make a separate Home, so I hope I did it right.