users login when-no??? | users can't login when-yes?????

bvc

While in linuxconf>users, I noticed the settings for users said permision to shutdown was denied. Strange because we could. This being wrong I granted permision. Also the /home/dir was not set, though obviously working, so I entered /home/users_name anyway. Up until this point users could shutdown and reboot. After these changes, we can't. I changed these setting back, well I tried to make empty (says optional) the /home/dir and got a message that "/home/user_name/user_name does not exist. Do you want to create it"..hell no. WTF! I don't need a user within the same user! This doesn't exactly seem secure here :evil: I've googled, and searched through mans and I know I just haven't found it but it's there. Can I edit some files or will pam.d throw a fit? I'm lost.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

While in linuxconf>users, I noticed the settings for users said permision to shutdown was denied. Strange because we could.

I think there are different settings for halting the system from console mode (/etc/shutdown.allow) and from graphic/mandrake mode.

But really I have no idea, also I'm sure that my config files are more or less different than yours since I'm still running a MDK 8.1, but I guess that you should take a look to the files at /etc/security/console.apps, to /etc/pam.d/shutdown, and take a quick look to this man pages:

console.apps

pam_console

console.perms

Hope it makes some sense to you

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks aru, but no...not really making sense, and having to login as root to shutdown/reboot is getting really old. I even booted to my minimal ML9.0 install (no X), looked at the files, and in linuxconf used pamconf and there where a few diffs. So I booted back over made the changes to match the minimal and it still says I have to be root. I tried more googling but that's not getting me anywhere. I could have reinstalled and reconfigured everything by now.

Oh, and if I use kdm (YUK!), users can reboot, and shutdown. So it looks like the dm's have rights to but not users from X or console.

and I've gone through the msec stuff.