need help with some hardware

Guest ROBtwister97

Guest ROBtwister97

Well first i'd like to say hello because this is my first post on this forum. Mandrake/Mandrivia cought my eye after doing some research of Linux, and it seems to be right for me. I'm intrested in Linux mostly because it's stable, fast, customizable, and free. I'm building my own computer now. I'm 14 years of age so this is quite an adventure to me.

Well here is all my hardware. All of it.

- MSI K8NNeo4 Platinum SLI Socket 939 ATX Motherboard and AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor - Ultra Dual Channel 1024MB PC4000 DDR 500MHz Memory (2 x 512MB)

- Hitachi / 160GB / 7200 / 8MB / SATA-150 / OEM / Hard Drive

- Samsung / 16x4x16x DVD+RW / 12x4x16x DVD-RW / 5x DVD+R DL / Black oem DVD Burner with Nero Software

- Asus GeForce 6600 GT / 128MB DDR3 / PCI Express / VGA / DVI / TV Out / SLI / Video Card - Amptron CT-723D / 17-Inch / 1280 x 1024 / 16ms / Silver DVI-D LCD Open Box

- Chaintech 7.1 Channel PCI 24HT-S Sound Card - Altec VS-3151 6PC Multimedia Home Theater Speaker System

- Netgear / WG311T / 108Mbps / 802.11gh / PCI / Wireless Adaptor

The components in bold are the ones I am most concerned about, but honestly i'm very concerned about all of them.

My first question to you is, do you know if all these items in bold are compatible with Mandrake/Mandrivia 10.1? The cards and the motherboard concern me a lot.

My second question is will my Mandrivia/Mandrake 10.1 DVD come with drivers on them? I bought it off of www.xplinuz.biz they sell "free CDs" if that helps.

My lasy question. Notice that my GPU card is carried by "Asus" yet it is still a GeForce which is an Nvidia thing, right? So what the heck does this mean? Will it be even more complicated to set up? If so... you can just reccomend me of another PCI GPU card of the same power.

Like I said Linux will be a journey, but I will hopefully learn a lot about unix and stuff. Thank you very much. Your responses are very much appreciated.

- Rob

Hey Rob

welcome to the board.

Well, I've no idea about compatibilty with your kit, but what you might want to consider trying is getting hold of a live cd such as knoppix (download the iso from knoppix site). This boots your PC from the CD (as oppossed to the Hard drive); whilst it will not be mandriva specific, it will give you a good idea if/what components are linux compatible.

Good luck.

welcome, rob. :)

here you can find some information on certified hardware that will definitely work with mandriva. but i, too, suggest to use a knoppix cd first for general testing of your system. if you have problems about knoppix, just ask us. ;)

some information you might find interesting: there can be some problems with your hardware, especially if you want to run the 3d option of your nvidia card. in the faq-section of this board, there is a detailed howto to install the nvidia drivers into your system. take a look at it. (btw: my lappy runs perfectly without nvidia drivers on linux... but then, i don't play games)

basically, you won't need any drivers for your hardware, excep tin very rare cases. linux operating systems have the drivers (we call them modules) alreday installed in the system-kernel. thus everything will be usually automatically detected and set up and you won't need to reboot your system for installing drivers for your monitor, your grahic card, your network-card, your audio card, etc. sounds nice, eh?

oh, and finally... whenever you run into a problem, be patient (!) and ask us. we will try our best to make your transition to mandriva as smooth as possible. you will see that mandriva (or linux in general) will work differently than windows, but you will (hopefully) love it sooner or later.

and one last information: you can run a dual-boot system in a hurry. windows and linux on one harddisk. (mandriva will automatically set up a dual-boot system for you, if you want it)

so... good luck and enjoy your first steps in a linux world. :beer:

Guest ROBtwister97

Thank you all for responding. In fact, I ordered both Knoppix and Mandrivia from www.xplinux.biz for that reason. Anything that knoppix detects will 99% get detected by Mandrake right? I don't plan on a dual-boot because I need to buy windows for that purpose and that would set me back another large amount of money.

Well, now the only thing that i'm nervous about is my graphics and wireless card. I noticed that I need to download this netgear... madwifi... thing to get it to work. Oh my. The graphics card thing hopefully won't be too bad. I just hope I can play games and do some photoshop work. I plan on emulating Windows games and Adobe Photoshop in Linux because I heard that it's possible.

I have one more important question. Does Linux support PCI Express GPUs? Are the drivers hard to find and such? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...1446519&CatId=0 click that to see the card that I have in mind now. I can pick up on power and cut down on the price.

Once again thanks for helping me! Yay! I'm really excited :D.