Setting Firefox as Default URL-Opener [solved]

Aomighty

Ok, so I'm trying to set it so when I click a link in Thunderbird, it will pop up as Firefox, rather than Epiphany, which is what it usually does. I've already set Firefox as the HTML opener and every other file assocation that was previously set as Konqueror and such. I've tried setting the command in in HTML as both the path, "firefox" and "firefox %U" like mozilla.org says to do. I've also set it in Gnome to be the default Web Browser. Currently, clicking on a link opens nothing, but when I reboot the computer, about 20 instances of Epiphany appear, whereas before changing the file assocations, it would simply open up one instance of Epiphany. I use KDE 3.2 on the Mandrake 10.1 Powerpack.

Thanks all.

Edited by Ao the Unstoppable

It worked! Thanks a bunch. I found the missing link was that in Gnome I had to include %s after the command (learned that from the help file :)).

Thanks all.

Edited by Ao the Unstoppable

OK, if you've not got gnome, you can just install "gnome-control-center", and it will give you the config tools to run gnome-default-applications-properties to change the gtk/gnome based stuff such as default browser, etc, etc.

Guest jglen490
Now, I don't have Gnome anymore- had to reinstall because of something else. I've already set the file assocations for KDE, using %s. How do I set it now?

Re-installing Gnome could prove useful. As an alternative, if you have no other reason to install Gnome, is to modify your $HOME/.bashrc file to include the following:

# Set the BROWSER environment variable

export BROWSER="/home/john/firefox1.0.4/firefox"

Naturally you would reference your own home directory entry and your specific firefox installation location - and not mine :cheesy: !!