sound error

photoworks

i am having the following message everytime i boot my machine :

Sound server information message :

Error while initialiasing the Sound driver

device : default can't be opened for playback (n souch file or directory

The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

Would anyone know what causes that error ?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

post-3401-1119480076_thumb.jpg

I've had that happen to me when I was running MDK 10.0, and my sound card wasn't supported. After I had upgraded to LE2005 (I thought no point bothering with 10.1), it all worked fine. But I did have to do a few things afterwards to get sound to work completely.

What version of Mandrake/Mandriva are you running? I can then perhaps provide a little more info on what you can do next.

I must have missed that the first time around! :P

Assuming it's 10.1, there's a couple of things you can try. Run alsaconf, and see if that helps configure everything there, and then set the sound values so that they're not muted. You'll probably have to reboot first, and then go from there. If you find the error message still occurs, you'll most likely need to upgrade alsa. A couple of ways this can be done. First, is upgrading your kernel so that it's 2.6.8.1.24 and it will go to 1.0.6a, then run alsaconf and see if it will work.

If it does, click the test button within KDE, and see if you get sound. If not, check to see if it's set to auto-detect, or alsa to make sure, and see what happens next. If you find you have partial sound, ie: test button works but the sound events don't then you can do the following:

From CLI, type su and supply root password

type update db

type slocate rpmnew

I think some files may be listed, then we need to replace the corresponding .conf files with the .conf.rpmnew, with the exception of group.conf is it lists it. I think the main one will be kdeglobals.conf that might be the one that controls the sound within kde. I tend to replace them all, and then my sound appeared. List the files if you have them, I can help you with it.

If you've still got no sound, suggest installing alsa 1.0.8, as it might be you need to run the latest version. Follow the same process in getting sound to work, alsaconf, test button in Configure your desktop, and then check sounds in games, etc, after that. Again, checking for rpmnew files will help to get partial sound problems resolved.