DDR pc266 and pc300

aioshin

I know, its not really linux related, but since I used linux on the box where I will install this, so I'll ask it here anyway.

I have this box that has only 128mb DDR pc 266 memory, and I am planning to put on it additional memory, but pc 266 DDR is very difficult to find, I can only find pc333, is it possible to add this pc333, even if the other RAM is a pc266?

TIA

Does your motherboard/mainboard support DDR PC333 RAM? If it does, and it supports DDR PC266 as well, you'll find that the PC333 RAM will run at the speed of the slowest memory - in this case PC266.

Years ago, when memory was SIMM based, you had memory that was 80ns 70ns and so on. The 70ns being faster. If you put both in a system it would run at 80ns, because of the slower component.

It's not something I've tried with DDR RAM, but I'm guessing the same principal would apply. I've seen that DDR slot speeds can be set to different speeds, or left on Normal, etc within the BIOS - which makes me guess it's possible.