DVD's won't play, in anything [solved]

omcaree

Hi all,

After some recent problems with my machine I had to reinstall Mandriva 2005 Limited Edition. After doing so I've been setting stuff up again to work how I liked it, and when it came round to DVD's I installed libdvdcss (which i believe was all i had to do before) and stuck a DVD in the drive. Kaffeine pops up (just like it used to), appears to be loading something and then gives the following error:

"The source can't be read. Maybe you don't have enough rights for this, or source doesn't contain data (e.g. no disc in drive). (Error reading NAV packet.)"

Now this is an error i've never seen before.

If I look in the playlist after this error has occured I can see the DVD titled listed, but it wont play.

Using xine I get the same error, but running xine from the terminal gives the following message when i attempt to play a DVD.

"libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable."

I don't know exactly what this means.

Anyway, I've used Mandriva 2005 before, and having only needed to install libdvdcss (i think) to play DVD's in kaffeine/xine I would like to know whats gone wrong and what I can do to fix it?

Cheers,

Owen

PS. Using MPlayer, nothing happens (no errors, but wont play either). and using Totem I get:

"An Error Occured: The source seems to be encrypted, and can't be read. Are you trying to play an encrypted DVD without libdvdcss?"

Which I'm not, so thats no help.

Edited by omcaree

Wow, thanks Fahd

Wasn't expecting a sollution quite so soon.

googled for that rpm, installed, and all is fine. still dont quite understand why it worked before as i'm sure i never installed that rpm last time round, but i'm not really bothered now since it works.

Once again Cheers

:thanks:

Owen

• 6 months later...

I have the same problem as above, I can't play Encrypted DVD movies, so I installed libdvdcss2 on my Linux Mandriva 2006 X86_64 but I can still not play encrypted DVD. I've tried Kaffeine, Xine and mplayer and I get the same error that was mention above.

:unsure:

All the best,

Toypon