Keeping current configuration on new HDD

xthaparian

Hi Guys,

I have 1 HDD with partion as follows:

sda1 = winxp c:

sda2= winxp d:

sda6 = linux (mandriva 2005)

Now I want to add new HDD of 250 gig.

I want to keep Linux on old HDD and move windows on New HDD.

1. I dont want to loose windows Programs and Data.

2. I want to preferably save linux partition but not neccesarily. So i can reinstall Linux if needed be.

How can this be done ???

Please help

[moved from Tips & Tricks by spinynorman]

1: don't know. better ask in a windows forum

2: Mandriva actually installs default in 3 parttitions: /, /swap and /home. Just copy /home to save all your date (if you keep all your data there) and user settings. I keep a list for the programs Mandriva doesn't default install and after I've added plf and mcnl I just run the software installer and tick everything I need. Installs in 5 minutes or so.

If you're wanting to keep it as it currently stands, and move to another hard disk, you should use something like Symantec Ghost.

This will allow you to clone the hard disk from one to the other. An example below:

You have Windows on a 20GB partition, and you want to replace this drive with an 80GB disk. In this example, I'm based on IDE, but it'll work the same for SCSI, albeit that instead of Master/Slave setup, you're going by SCSI ID's.

First, ensure that the 20GB is your Primary Disk (it should be if you're already booting from it), then install the 80GB as your Slave. Once this is done, you can then run the ghost.exe and choose the option for Local - Disk to Disk. We don't want to create an image file, and then load this back to disk - there's no point.

Once it's completed copying the data from one drive to the other, you now need to remove the 20GB disk, and then set the 80GB disk as your Primary Disk (master now instead of slave). Then boot the computer normally.

Do not boot the computer with the old disk and the new disk in at the same time, else it will completely screw up what you've just done.

For SCSI, you're Master disk would be SCSI ID 0, and the Slave would be ID1 or whatever you wanted after this. Then afterwards, you would remove the 20GB disk, and set the 80GB disk to ID 0.

Hope that is helps in what you're looking to do.

ianw.

with ghost, both the partitions will be copied?? I mean i have dual boot system, so it will keep the MBR and keep the current lilo on MBR?

i think if this is posible then i can make disk to disk copy from 120 gb to 250 gb. after that remove 120 gb and replace 250 gb at its place and make it master..

so..with that in mind, will linux on new HDD work fine ( since the hardware of HDD is changed?).

Hi, yes it will keep the mbr, etc, etc. Can you explain a bit about your setup?

For example, is Windows on hard disk one? Is linux on hard disk two? Or is windows and linux on the same disk (you only have one disk in the machine at present). If I know a bit more how it is set up partition wise, I can explain a bit more on what I can do to help.

Yup..

I have only 1 HDD with 3 partitions.

16 gb for linux

15 gb = c:

80 gb = d:

I just want to move Windows on new HDD which is 250 Gb and keep linux on the old hdd which is 120 Gb.

So if I move the MBR will be on new HDD then how can I reconfigure lilo to see Linux on Old HDD (120Gb) and windows on new HDD (250Gb)??