kmail and firefox...

kristi

I just recently converted to kmail from tbird. I realize now that at the time I was using Opera, and if there was a url in a kmail post, it would open in Opera (assuming I had chosen "opera" in component chooser, web browser. I was having some problems with Opera and decided to go back to firefox for a bit, so I chose "firefox" in the component chooser, web browser, clicked on the url in kmail:

something flashes very quickly (it's a copyfile copying a file into /var/tmp ) and then firefox starts and asks me if I would like to open this php script in /var/tmp/kdecache-kristi with kate. (kate shows nothing in the file.

I remember that to get thunderbird to open url's in firefox I had to do a mod

to get Tbird to link to FF

In Tbird:  using the about:config extension

about:config

right click choose add new string

name:      network.protocol-handler.app.http

string value:   /usr/bin/mozffremote

Okay so I added /usr/bin/mozffremote to the menu and selected it with the component chooser, but the same thing happened.

Anyone know how to open a url from a post in kmail (a topic subscription reply notification) , in firefox?

tia!!!

Kristi

Edited by kristi

Damn - how'd you get to be so smart!

I clicked on the littlebox to the right of that and that lets you choose from stuff in the menu - it worked fine for opera, so i expected it to work like that for the mozilla firefox menu entry.

:oops:

:cheesy:

:woops: :woops: :woops: :woops:

Thanks for sticking with me!

:D

Another way I got it to work, was to use "gnome-default-applications-properties". When I ran this, I could choose my default browser, email program etc.

The reason I used this was because under 10.1 OE you cannot set your default browser in KDE, like you can with the updated version (think it's because of KDE 3.2).

Sometimes, I had to edit the file associations too, so that Firefox was in the list higher than konqueror etc, and all that sort of stuff.