don't have a CD writer!

sallam

Greetings!

newbie here!

I'm currently downloading the 3 CD's of Mandriva LE2005 installation. The problem is that my cd writer is broken, so I was wondering: is there any way to install the 3 CDs downloads, without having to burn them in actual CDs? like using a virtual CD software or something? (I have Alcohol 120%)

Or must I go buy a new cd writer?

Difficult, because you usually have to reboot the system, and then it boots from the CD's to install the OS.

I think you'll need to write these to CD to install the OS.

the broken cd writer could def. make it more difficult. perhaps you can do some kind of networking with someone whose burner works.

i know for alot of other distributions, there are smaller boot images that can be loaded onto a usb-drive. if you can boot from it (as allowed by your motherboard) then perhaps that is a solution even if it means not using mandriva.

You could always do a network install. All you'd need is two floppies created from the network.img and network_drivers.img files. See the ../official/2005/i586/install/images/README file for details on creating these and on doing a network install. The image files are in there are well.

The one with the network.img is the one you'll boot from, and you'll later be prompted for the network_images floppy.

Befores starting, be sure to write down the full ftp or http address of the mirror you want to use. You'll probably need to enter it during the process. You'll be prompted separately for the ftp or http server and the Mandrake directory. Enter them like this example:

ftp server: mirrors.usc.edu <leave off the ftp:// part)

Mandrake directory: /pub/linux/distributionsmandrakelinux/official/2005/i586/

I've done a couple network installs and they work nicely.

Once you're up and running, you could always mount those downloaded .iso images as a loopback device and access them just like any other file system.

mount -o loop -t iso9660 <some_iso_file>.iso /mnt/???

Edited by jboy

Thanks for the tips.

I found an 'install' file inside CD1, that has instructions for installing from hard disk, without having to burn any CDs. It worked great, though figuring out partition numbers was tricky.

The problem now is internet connection. I have a d-link 530 LAN adapter card, but ML configures it as a via something, and when I start firefox, it takes ages to reach even google!

what should I do?

It's probably something to do with IPV6.

In Firefox, in the address bar type about:config. Then filter for IPV6, and change from False to True. Then try and see if it's any better.

Also, you might want to add this line to your /etc/modprobe.conf

alias net-pf-10 off

this will ensure that ipv6 is disabled each time you boot your computer.

Hope that helps to sort out the speed problem!

thanks so much, I'll do that now and see..

Also, you might want to add this line to your /etc/modprobe.conf

alias net-pf-10 off

forgive me, as a complete newbie to linux, but how can I add that line? where do i go to find that conf file?

OK, you can open a command prompt, which is called Konsole. This can be found on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen, or you can find it in System/Terminals.

At the prompt type the following:

cd /etc

su

(now supply root password)

vi modprobe.conf

press i

at the end of the file enter the text alias-net-pf-10 off

press ESC

press :w (colon and w) this will save the file

press :q (colon and q) this will quit.

you can then exit the command prompt, and IPV6 will be disabled each time you boot your computer.

If however, you find that Firefox is now working perfectly fine, then don't worry about disabling IPV6 unless you notice any other problems.