Install MySQL/PHP/Apache from mandrake rpm or source?

fuzzylizard

I am looking for peoples opinions here, there is probably no right answer for this. However, I am wondering which people think is the better route to go: to install apache/php/mysql from the rpms on the Mandrake install disks or to compile and install them from source?

There are two reasons that I am asking this; first, to see what people think on this issue, and second, because I am about to install apache/php/mysql and am wondering which way to go. I have installed from source before using the script from www.apachetoolbox.com, but never from rpm.

Along with this, I would like to install kdevelop and it insists on installing mysql, postgresql, and several other strange packages.

My personal opinion is that installing from source is probably better, but I have nothing to really back that up.

installing from the rpms is simple so thats what i do.

If i want to move to the newest php (and i will later because of the better support for shell scripting) i will use urpmi as there will be an mdk rpm availible somewhere. same goes for mysql (i would like the boolean text search feature as opposed to the none boolean text search in 3.52.X versions).