Replace DVDROM with DVD Burner

crispus

Hey all,

I want to upgrade my DVDROM to a DVD burner, likely a BENQ or LG model (I have reviewed and they both appear to have good linux compatibility).

Before I converted to the good side, I would not have thougth twice about unplugging, swapping out the drive, rebooting and clicking all of the pop-up boxes from the 'Add New Hardware' Wizard.

Now that I am a convert, the only thing I have yet to do is a hardware swap.

I am running MDK 10.1 OE and am just wondering what to expect with regards to the hardware swap when linux boots (Harddrake is currently on at boot). Is there some manual tinkering (fstab, or other) I will have to do or should I expect it to be seemless? Will there be any conflict if I leave my CD burner in as well? Or should a replace the CD burner with the DVD burner to avoid complications?

I've tried googling but my search criteria gives some vague references but not enough to give me any insight.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Regards,

Crispus

afaik, if you have harddrake running, it should automatically detect the new burner and update your hardware list accordingly. it might be however that you need to do some finetuning later. certain brands of dvd-burners are (so i read in other posts) a little bit more tricky than cd-burners. but i guess LG and BneQ will be rather painless.

You can even disable harddrake, and more than that remove all /etc/fstab optical drive entries if you're using 10.2/ 2005LE. If message bus/hal are running (which is the default) they will pick up the device, add the necessary mount point and automount your media when you insert them. Configuration for burning (with k3b) is very simple: "kcmshell k3bsetup2" as root. IMHO simplest to bypass some annoyances is creating the "burning" group, as k3b suggests, and add your default user in that group.

Just get sure you won't swap IDE channels while changing the drive, as then your partition fstab entries will be invalid and the system won't boot at all.

For the curious, the switch from the DVDROM to DVD burner went without a hitch except for one small fix. The drive was recognized and I was able to burn a disc and erase a disc right away.

However, the drive would not automatically mount a disc when inserted and I had to reenter the drive information into fstab.

If anyone has any thoughts on this please share.

-Crispus