Mdkkdm and KDE 3.4.x, can't shutdown or reboot

doutor.zero

First hi everybody, I'm from Brasil, so sorry for my bad english!

I'm trying to update Mandriva 2005 LE to KDE 3.4.1, first with Thacs rpms and last with Cooker.

With Thacs KDE i experience a lot of problems (with mdkkdm, double menus, etc) so I decide to go with cooker and after seting the repositories the installation was successful.

But even everything seems fine, now I can't shutdown or reboot from my session and everytime I try Mandriva comes back to the Mdkkdm screen and from there I can shutdown/reboot (with KDM this don't happens)

This is really annoying... But the main problem is because this PC is from my parents so I can't stop them from using mdkkdm, first because was very difficult to make them switch from M$ and second because they are old so clicking in the icon to login is better for them (and KDM without themes is very ugly).

So, anyone knows a way to make KDE 3.4.1 shutdown and reboot while using mdkkdm?

Thanks a lot,

doutor zero

p.s. I'm disappointed with the way that Mandriva deals with updates, because at the same time of the release of Mandriva 2005 there is some distros coming with KDE 3.4 without problems and now Mandriva wants me to pay only to download again a updated version!

So I don't understand why there is no official rpm packages so I can't update by myself (because I agree that if you pay you have the right to get a full version with KDE 3.4).

Edited by doutor.zero

I forgot to add, GDM will have the clickability that you want for the users. The issue in hand, really only occurs with KDE 3.4, but check out GDM and see if this is what you like.

It's very similar to mdkkdm.

Thanks for the reply.

I have tryed GDM but after install it the turn off and restart buttons dissapears in KDE. Maybe If I try using it again...

And there is one more question about GDM: how do I install themes to it without using Gnome?

Mdkkdm is not official for Mandriva 2005 right? Because for 10.1 it was the default login manager, so I thinks it's not fair to stop suportting it without even creating a similar theme for KDM or GDM.

And after all this problems, they want you to pay, a lot, for a club membership :angry:

Thanks again,

doutor.zero

Edited by doutor.zero

Hi doutor.zero,

I use Cooker and KDE 3.4.1 currently (the Cooker, not the Thac version) where the default login manager is kdebase-kdm. It does not look drastically different than mdkkdm, and it works fine (for "unstable" as Cooker is, rather surprisingly well).

Of course I don't suggest you, or anyone else using MDK unstable, there SHOULD be a working solution available for 10.0- 10.1 users which update their system normally.

Thanks for you reply scarecrow.

What really is pissing me off is that Mandriva acts like M$...

First they ship a version without the latest KDE (ok, ok I undestand that Mandriva is conservative) even if big distros like SUSE are coming with KDE 3.4 without problems);

Second: even in the full DVD there is no packages, and not even repositories with official, tested packages. Only in cooker you can find it and they even say "install it at your own risk"!

Third: they release a Club version with KDE 3.4 and want people to download all the Mandriva cds again. It's exactly like M$, if you want a updated OS or you pay or go to hell!

Sorry but I think this against open source! Pay or stay with outdated stuff, please! And look that I almost convice myself (and my parents) to became members of that club, but now i'm thinking in using another distro.

Thanks and sorry for my anger.

doutor.zero