mandriva le 05 install on new HD 99 99 99 [solved]

Guest j3rryrigg

Guest j3rryrigg

New HD and installed mandriva limited edition 2005 on a p3 500Mhz the install goes smooth... get to the end... take out the disk... reboot... reboots to verifying DMI Pool Data, then followed by a bunch of 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 then that is it.

I reinstalled again paying closer attention to the boot loader page/section of the install of which I’m not too sure what I should use for my settings in this section, which probably is where I’m screwing the pooch, if you think that this is may be the case please supply me the proper generic settings for this bootloader section so she will run. I'm open to any suggestions that will bring positive prognosis for this OS install.

Tried it again just to see if it would behave and got the same verifying DMI Pool Data followed by a bunch of 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 once more

Busier than a cat covering up crap on a marble floor here

Please help.

Best!

Thank you

Boot with the first cd. At the splash screen, hit F1 and type "rescue"

When you get to the menu, select install lilo

Be sure to install lilo to the mbr.

reboot.

The 99999999999999999999999999999 mean that your MBR is corrupted.

The only practical way out is to CLEAR the MBR using any one of a couple of methods.

Only then will you be able to set up a problem free booting up.

It is most likely you corrupted the mbr when you did an incorrect or incomplete boot setup during your first attempt at the Mandriva install .

Cheers. JOHN.

LILO did not install cleanly to your MBR. This can happen if the BIOS has the MBR locked (trivial protection against old viruses), or you have installed there another bootloader, like BootMagic or Grub. LILO cannot overwrite such bootloaders cleanly, but Grub can (actually this is just ONE of the many reasons I prefer Grub over LILO).

Edited by scarecrow

Guest j3rryrigg

I’m very happy to be apart of community of users like you here @ https://mandrivausers.org. Just what I am looking for in my new windows free as possible tech experience.

Meaning… Thank you all for the professional, helpful, quick response to my question.

For what it’s worth…

I had posted my question over on…

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/index.php

No answer there yet out of 75 views so far of the thread.

This is one of the many reasons why I am making my exodus from winblows after 11 years… no forward progress. The newsgroups post just returned someone’s rude smug imformationless response, like I’m to feel like the individual is some sort of God that is too whatever to get his brainc3lls dirty actually offering a worthwhile reply. Pretty much par for newsgroups anymore Hu?

I am glad that I have found a community with grit! And individuals who are real… very rare I must say as far as online shish goes anyhouse.

Hmmmmm

I best sush and get to plugging these opinions to this 99 99 99 99 99 mud booter!

Best!

Thank you

Guest j3rryrigg

MBR needed done right as suggested.

Also...

in the bios set the HD that the OS is on

In the IDE setting page to normal instead of auto as Linux likes to see and It is booting up and good to go. Thanks so much

Best!

The 99999999999999999999999999999 mean that your MBR is corrupted.

The only practical way out is to CLEAR the MBR using any one of a couple of methods.

Only then will you be able to set up a problem free booting up.

It is most likely you corrupted the mbr when you did an incorrect or incomplete boot setup during your first attempt at the Mandriva install .

Cheers.                          JOHN.

My new system contains a removable Hard disk

tray. I can A <=> B <=> C hard drives to my

hearts content. The boot sequence is:

Floppy -> DVD/CD -> HD

I built a bootable Win98 (actually a nice floppy

based OS) with fdisk and killdisk

http://www.killdisk.com/

on it. With fdisk and killdisk I can literally

take the mounted HD to nothing but "0"s end to end.

Including tk0,sec0,,hd0 and that includes the

MBR sector. You only have to run killdisk for a

second or so to clear out the MBR. When I am

experimenting with a new OS, like Mandriva LE 2005,

I wipe the disk entirely clean before installing

the first CD/DVD installation disk.

wilcal