Problem loading KQEMU module

Not sure if anyone here can help, but here's my situation:

I have both Win4Lin9x (Win98) and Win4Lin Pro (Win2k) installed on my 10.1 box. W4L9x requires a W4L-patched kernel. W4LPro does not, it will install with any 2.6 kernel, but runs much better when used with kqemu acceleration, which requires loading a kqemu kernel module. Now, I've installed and used kqemu with Win4LinPro since the combination was first introduced with no problems at all. But I just upgraded the kernel on my Mandrake 10.1 box and can't get the kqemu module to install now. I know why, but I don't know the best way around the problem.

Up to now, I've been using Buchan Milne's W4L-enabled kernel package for the stock 10.1 kernel I got from Contrib:

kernel-win4lin-2.6.8.1.12mdk-3-11mdk.i586.rpm

...and had installed the matching kernel-source (required to build the kqemu module). I ran a handy script for building and loading the kqemu module that Leo Reiter at Win4Lin provided that makes it easy. That done, all was nice, I could run either version of W4L, or even both at once. The kqemu module even survived reboots.

Then, for various reasons that don't matter here, I installed a new kernel package from Cooker:

kernel-multimedia-2.6.11-9.mm.2mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

...and the Win4Lin-patched kernel to run my Win4Lin5x installation:

kernel-multimedia-win4lin-2.6.11-9.mm.2mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

...and the matching kernel-source package so I could re-do the kqemu module:

kernel-multimedia-source-2.6.11-9.mm.2mdk.i586.rpm

Everything installed fine. Rebooted into the new kernel, everything seems ok. Win4Lin9x works, etc, etc. But now when I run Leo's kqemu install script, I get this result:

# /opt/win4linpro/bin/build_kqemu.sh /tmp/kqemu-0.6.2-1.tar.gz
Building KQEMU module in /root/tmp/.build_kqemu-11564
 Please see the file /tmp/build-kqemu.log in case of error

make -C "/lib/modules/2.6.11-9.mm.2mdk/build" SUBDIRS=`pwd` modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.11-9.mm.2mdk'
 CC [M]  /root/tmp/.build_kqemu-11564/kqemu/kmod.o
cp /root/tmp/.build_kqemu-11564/kqemu/kqemu-mod-i386.o
/root/tmp/.build_kqemu-11564/kqemu/kqemu-mod.o
 LD [M]  /root/tmp/.build_kqemu-11564/kqemu/kqemu.o
 Building modules, stage 2.
 MODPOST
Warning: could not find
/root/tmp/.build_kqemu-11564/kqemu/.kqemu-mod.o.cmd for
/root/tmp/.build_kqemu-11564/kqemu/kqemu-mod.o
 CC      /root/tmp/.build_kqemu-11564/kqemu/kqemu.mod.o
 LD [M]  /root/tmp/.build_kqemu-11564/kqemu/kqemu.ko
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.11-9.mm.2mdk'

Installing KQEMU module in /lib/modules/2.6.11-9.mm.2mdk/misc

Loading KQEMU module

FATAL: Error inserting kqemu
(/lib/modules/2.6.11-9.mm.2mdk/misc/kqemu.ko): Invalid module format

As you can see, all goes well until the module is loaded. This 'invalid module format' thing had me baffled for a bit , but then Leo at Win4Lin clued me in that my problem with installing the kqemu module is apparently due to a gcc mismatch because I have gcc-3.4.1-4 on my 10.1 system, but the W4L-enabled Cooker kernel package I installed was compiled with gcc-4.0.0-3:

$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.11-9.mm.2mdk (svetljo@n2.mandrakesoft.com) (gcc version 4.0.0 (4.0.0-3mdk for Mandriva Linux release 2006.0)) #2 Sat May 28 03:05:09 CEST 2005

Now when I compile kqemu on my system, the gcc-version mismatch with the new kernel package stops installation of the kqemu module.

So it seems I have 2 choices if I want to run the latest Mandriva multimedia kernels with W4L 9x and W4L Pro:

!. Recompile the kernel on my system so the gcc versions match.

2. Install gcc-4.0.0-3 on my gcc-3.4.1-4 system and have 2 gcc versions installed, and use gcc-4.0.0-3 to compile kqemu. I've never done that, but I understand having 2 versions of gcc installed can be messy.

Updating my distro version wouldn't help since the latest stable release, Mandriva LE2005, comes with gcc-3.4.3-7. I'd have to go to a Cooker install to get gcc-4.0.0-3. Ugh. I have no need/desire to update the entire distro anyway.

Of course I know I can still run the 2.6.8. kernel, but I'd really like to keep the 2.6.11-multimedia version and I have no other problems running it. But Win4Lin Pro runs like crap in molasses without kqemu loaded.

Any other ideas? If not, any help on how best to do either Option 1 or Option 2 would be appreciated. I'm still a raw n00b at kernel compiles.

cannot help you with the kernel recompile but i'd say, go for compiling the new kernel instead of having two gcc's running. we tried to build the new yoper-base once with a dual gcc-system and the result was disaster. :P

• 1 month later...
Guest fuco_809

hello,

i get the same error but my gcc is 3.4.3 and the kernel has the same version (/proc/version)

my system is mandriva 2005 le.

any other hint on this problem or exists an mandriva binary rpm ?

regards

hannes