Fat32 File System Weirdness

Thin

hi all

Booted up the laptop this morning to find my shared partition completely misbehaving - this is a FAT32 partition shared between Mandriva and XP.

its in FSTAB as

/dev/hda6 /mnt/win_e vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0

If I try to create / delete a test file in the root initially - everything is fine and works as expected, however when I attempt to use / edit files in some directories below the whole thing seems to lose permission and go to read only or something.

This is completlely reproducable in that if I unmount, mount again, it does exactly the same thing :help:

I don't have the first idea what to try to pin this one down - so any troubleshooting advice greatly appreciated.

:thanks:

[moved from Terminal Shell Commands,etc by spinynorman]

All my FAT32 partitions have this in fstab:

vfat umask=0,user,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,exec 0 0

but I doubt the difference in iocharset would cause this problem. You can try changing and see if the problem goes away.

Mandrake has a security program called msec that can cause problems if set too high. To access the graphical frontend of the program run as root:

# draksec

See what the security setting is. Anything greater than "High" will definitely cause problems and is unnecessary unless your running a server. Try setting msec to "Standard" and see if the problem goes away.