Install freezes between License and Security

Guest Schmo

Guest Schmo

Howdy folks. I recently downloaded 10.1 to install on my computer to play around with till my Dell server gets here. The problem I am running into is that every time the install freezes after I check agree then next at the license agreement window. The only way I can get out of this is to reset my comptuer. I installed it on an older computer (p2 450) to make sure my disc were ok and the install went great. Below are my specs...

Motherboard -- Asus A7V266-E Socket A

Chip -- AMD XP 1700

Ram -- 1gig DDR

Video Card -- PNY 128mb AGP Nvidia GeForce FX 5700LE

Duel Hard Drives -- 80gig 7200 Western Digital FAT 32

30gig 7200 Western Digital FAT 32

OS -- Windows XP

I planned to install Linux on my 30gig hard drive and run a duel booting system. :help:

When you boot, might be an option to run the installer with acpi turned off. I think the command is:

linux acpi=off (or it may not need the linux before, and just type acpi=off - check the F1 help screen for some samples, but use acpi=off somewhere in there).

When you boot from the CD/DVD, don't press enter, but F1, and then you can type the command yourself and see if that helps.

Try a "linux noapic" instead of the "noacpi" option, see if that helps?

I think you can also put them together so it'd read:

linux noacpi noapic

Guest Schmo
There's also:

linux failsafe

which may also be an option to help, although the majority are caused by ACPI and APIC.

Tried all of that and still freezes. By chance would USB devices cause a problem. I have a Microsoft IntelliType Pro Keyboard which has 2 usb ports on it (one of which has my mouse plugged into it). They work fine just fine for the few brief moments of the install, just wondering. Is there a way to see the logs once I am in the install screen, then maybe I could post them here.

have you made a md5sum check of your cd before trying to install it? it sounds to me like a bad burn. and when burning the iso image to cd, don`t write at maximum speed. this will reduce the chance of a bad burn.

otherwise, unplugging usb-devices is a good idea.

Edited by arctic

Guest Schmo
have you made a md5sum check of your cd before trying to install it? it sounds to me like a bad burn. and when burning the iso image to cd, don`t write at maximum speed. this will reduce the chance of a bad burn.

otherwise, unplugging usb-devices is a good idea.

I dont think its a bad burn as I already installed it on another computer before the one giving me the problems. Time to check the usb's.

If you have a "normal" keyboard, ie, PS/2 keyboard, you can use and install with this, and then reconnect your USB keyboard later on.

It's a possibility, I know some people had issues with USB keyboards/mouse working initially, but got them working later.

Guest Schmo
If you have a "normal" keyboard, ie, PS/2 keyboard, you can use and install with this, and then reconnect your USB keyboard later on.

It's a possibility, I know some people had issues with USB keyboards/mouse working initially, but got them working later.

Well that is what the problems was. I removed my usb devices and install went smooth and I set up my duel boot (got info off these forums, thanks). Now I have a few questions.

1. How do I reboot comp from Linux. I can logout of KDE but it just puts me to a login window and reboot is not an option. I know I dont have to hit reset button on my comp each time do I.

2. Can anyone point me to a thread on setting up webservers. I plan to host my own site and a few others once my server gets here. It would be really nice to set up a local site and get used to it before hand.

Thanks in advance.

When you click logout in KDE, does it give three options? They should be logoff, reboot, shutdown?

If not, you can open a CLI and type "halt" to shutdown, and "reboot" to reboot.

These options may not be available, if you set security higher than standard. If you set it back to standard, they should appear again, instead of just showing the log off option.

Edited by ianw1974

it has been mentioned before on some other posts that kdm seems to be somehow buggy. so... i recommend to install and run gdm instead of kdm (you can reboot and shutdown the system without problems with gdm on mandriva le2005).

simply install the gdm package in the mandriva-control-center and change the login manager from kdm to gdm with the mcc. :)

Guest Schmo

I changed the security setting on Mandriva to standard and its letting me reboot now but its not saving my mouse setting which means I have to reselect it each time it loads.