Drive Partitions [solved]

oldnoob

my compter is currently configured as follws:

Mandrake 10.1 (duel boot xp)

hda1 = C windows xp ntfs

hda2 = 110gig windows ntfs

hdb = linux partitions including a fat 32 shared partition to share media

Now I want the 110gig to be a shared drive

I was in mcc, I unmounted hda2, went into mount point and made it fat32 (win_d), then i went to format. It gave me a message about rewritng partition table for hda.

So i stopped and thought, this wont format hda1 windows as well will it? I hope not because all data on hda2 has been backed up on to hda1.

So will mandrake just reformat hda2 and leave hda1 alone or maybe should i reformat from xp?

what do you mean by "make it a shared drive"? i mean you can access it from within linux now . and it's a dual boot so only one player at a time

I'm sure you can format the 110 gig partition to FAT32 in windows with winxp; might be safer. The message you got from mcc is normal however. Whenever you make a change to a partition, the change has to be written to the hard drive's mbr for it to take effect. The message is giving you a last chance to back out if your not sure you want to commit to the changes.

I would change the drive from within windows. Otherwise, windows may throw a fit. Linux gets along with anything. Windows does not.

Yeah, did the same on my dual-boot PC too.

It always makes a hell of a lot of sense to think about how you want to use, save and backup your data!

Besides that, running a computer without a data-backup-concept is like driving a car and never looking at the oil.

My own method as one possible example: The common partition is used as the default path for all OpenOffice documents and also is the storage place for my entire private folders and files.

Every now and then I just drag and drop the contents of the entire common partition onto the USB-stick. That way, if my computer vanished into thin air nothing important would be lost.

Recovering would just mean setting up the operating systems and reserving an empty common partition, then dumping the stuff from USB-stick back on.

regards, Helmut.

Edited by Helmut