Problems after Kde 3.4 Update

Guest eremini

Guest eremini

Hello,

Well it's my mistake really. I wasn't thinking clearly and on my Mandriva LE 2005 typed:

urpmi.addmedia thacs.rpms http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/thac/10.1/RPMS with hdlist.cz

Which is obviously wrong... I installed kdebase along with all its dependencies. Now I have the following problem:

Everything boots, the Log-on screen is displayed with a lot of usernames. I click my username (tryed root too), enter the correct password, the screen goes black for 2 seconds and then just goes back to the log-on screen with usernames.

I really don't want to reinstall the whole thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Eremini

I had this to, you have to do the following:

urpme kde-kdm (check if not the correct name, can't remember exactly, it may not be installed anyway)

urpme mdkkdm

urpmi mdkkdm

There will be a list of dependencies removed when you do this, make a list, and put them back afterwards.

What might be best, is when your pointing at the LE2005 mirrors, is to rerun the KDE 3.4 upgrade.

The easiest way, is to urpme everything kde related, and from the CLI or another GUI, install KDE again. Is best not to do it when KDE is running, from threads I've read.

Afterwards, run updatedb, and then slocate for rpmnew's and compare against their existing file to see if they are needing replacement. I remember that kdmrc.conf is one that can have an issue, which causes the inability to login.

Edited by ianw1974

Sure, no worries. What you do, is as root (su command), type updatedb. This will make sure the slocate database is ready. There is a cron job that normally runs this process, but obviously your system has to be up to do it lol.

So, once done manually, type slocate rpmnew, and it'll list where they all are. Is quicker than doing a search/find for the files.

Then you can go to the corresponding directory, and check and compare them against each other. Some might have an older date than the current version, but this isn't always to say that the older file isn't valid. Sometimes there are settings in there that help resolve problems. For example, the /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc.conf.rpmnew can resolve some issues with logging in on the GUI after a KDE 3.4 upgrade, as well as a /etc/kde/kdeglobals.conf.rpmnew as well.

Why don´t you do the easy-urpmi routine again only this time picking the CORRECT one, namely 10.2 or it may be shown as 2005. This should enable you to install the correct stuff without all the fiddling about looking for files and matching etc.

Let me warn you beforehand that once you use KDE 3.4 you will have difficulties with logging in with KDM or MKDM. You will have to use GDM otherwise you cannot past the login window.

This problem still has not been fixed and the problem seems to definitely be in KDE3.4.

Cheers. John.

You can if you remove mdkkdm and reinstall, plus all dependencies.

The only probs I found after this was, that when you choose reboot or shutdown within KDE, it returned you to the mdkkdm window, and you had to click halt or reboot to actually complete the process.

Was kinda working :P