problem

janet.doe

Hi

I don't know if you have discussed about this here earlier but I'll ask anyway. I have mandriva LE and I have been trying to install couple of programs but there is something wrong... For example a program named neuroscope I tried to install it but it asked me for a library named libXinerama.so. I tried to find that library from internet but failed. Then I notised that actually that library exists in my system. Why doesn't packagemanager find that library from my system and what can I do to that? And there is couple of similar problems with other packages... -j.d.

Package manager (rpmdrake) in Sytem > Configuration > Packaging under Menu is a gui front-end to the urpmi family of commands. Once you learn how to use the commands in a terminal, I think you will find them to be quicker and more flexible than the gui. Here's a demo:

[rolf@localhost ~]$ urpmq neuroscope
no package named neuroscope

Apparently, neuroscope is a 'third-party' non-Mandriva rpm. It still might be possible to install it cleanly. There is a complaint about a missing dependency, however. Use urpmf to search for a package containing that dependency:

[rolf@localhost ~]$ urpmf libXinerama.so
libxorg-x11:/usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.so.1
libxorg-x11:/usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.so.1.0
libxorg-x11-devel:/usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.so
libxorg-x11:/usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.so.1
libxorg-x11:/usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.so.1.0
libxorg-x11-devel:/usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.so

There is a package in my urpmi database containing this file. I can find out what urpmi repository contains it. Some ftp sources are password-protected, so urpmq will hide this information from an unprivileged user and I use root to execute this command:

[root@localhost rolf]# urpmq --sources libxorg-x11-devel
file://mnt/hd//media/main2/libxorg-x11-devel-6.8.2-7mdk.i586.rpm
ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/official/updates/LE2005/main_updates/
./libxorg-x11-devel-6.8.2-7.1.102mdk.i586.rpm

This shows the package to be on CD2 and that it has an update, probably security-related. Therefore, if you install this package, you should run MandrakeUpdate to get the updated version installed. If you have a MandrakeUpdate source configured, you can get the ftp file that makes urpmi aware that there is a new update in the repository:

# urpmi.update --update

This command updates the list for media marked update, such as the security updates source. Now, assuming you have urpmi sources configured for the install media, including CD3, and and a MandrakeUpdate source, one urpmi command ought to install neuroscope and its dependencies. You can see what are the configured media in Software Media Manager or with:

[rolf@localhost ~]$ urpmq --list-media
Installation CD1 (disk1)
Installation CD2 (disk2)
Installation CD3 (disk3)
Drivers and Plugins Special Club CD4 (disk4)
Drivers and Plugins Special Club CD4 (disk5)
Drivers and Plugins Special Club CD4 (disk6)
Drivers and Plugins Special Club CD4 (disk7)
Drivers and Plugins Special Club CD4 (disk8)
Silver Club Extra CD5 (disk9)
Silver Club Extra CD6 (disk10)
Silver Club Extra CD6 (disk11)
simonzone
plf-free
plf-nonfree
updates
contrib
club.comm_i586_2005LimitedEdition

As I said, this shows an updates source, I have updated that source, and, in the directory containing the neuroscope rpm, I would do:

# urpmi full_name_of_neuroscope.rpm

In theory, this would install neuroscope and its dependencies, including the updated package(s) on the ftp updates repository. I don't know if this analysis interprets your situation accurately but HIH.

Do you have all the urpmi sources configured? In Software Media Manager, do you have the following listed:

main

contrib

updates or update_source

jpackage

plf-free

plf-nonfree

I've had problems with software looking for packages, when one of the above sources was missing. Not sure if this is the same issue for you, but hope it helps somehow.

If you report more explicitly

• What you are trying to accomplish
  • What are the steps you take to accomplish that
  • What are the results you expect and
  • What were the actual results, including a copy of any error messages,

as the general format of a request for help, others will have a better chance of understanding what your situation is and recognizing a solution.

In other words,

• What are the exact commands you use or steps you take?
  • What are the results, including error messages?
  • What are the results of the commands I suggested you try?

for example.

Hi rolf,

I'm sorry, but 'cause my home language is something totally different than english I have some problems to say what I'm trying to say :) . If you know what I mean... I did all that You suggested earlier and everything went well until I wrote that last urpmi-command... I'll try to translate the error message I got. In english, I think, it was something like this: 'can't handle rpm file neuroscope.rpm, error registering local packages'. I've got that same message with some other packages so the neuroscope can't be the cause of this problem. Usually all the packages installs fine with urpmi, but then there is few these like neuroscope that gives you a headache only...

-janet

My only question is whether the last urpmi command you give uses the path to the neuroscope.rpm file. In other words, Tab completion should work for you: type part of the urpmi command, including the first part of the path to the rpm file, which would just be the name of the rpm, if you are in that directory, and pressing Tab will fill in the rest of the command.

The one error I know is common is not to give the correct path/name to urpmi of an rpm that is not part of the urpmi sources. Otherwise, I am not familiar with the cause of that error; maybe a search at www.google.com would be helpful.

Hi again.

Yes, the last urpmi command uses the path to the neuroscope.rpm file.

I have googled this thing, but that wasn't very helpfull and thats why I came here with my little problem.

Thank you for trying to help me.

-janet