Package installation

satelliteuser083

Following installation of LE 2005 I attempted to install kppp, only to be presented with the continual message to "Please insert the medium named "Installation DVD" on device [/dev/cdrom]". Each time I insert the DVD it is rejected (and ejected). Has anyone else had this problem? How does 10.2 recognise the DVD which has been inserted, and is there any way of overcoming this hitch?

Guest JohnMarshall

Ive got the same prob (trying to install stuff for adsl ppoe), even switched around the cd and dvd burners, unplugged the cd burner, no diff. The dvd appears on the desktop though.

Guest JohnMarshall

I found in the forums a mention that MDK wants the first available cdrom for packages. Now thats not good. I think I found a workaround:

1. Insert your dvd into drive, should get an icon on the desktop - I get 'CD-ROM (hdd) [/mnt/cdrom2]'.

2. Open MCC and select 'Software Management', then 'Select from where ......source' (install source).

3. Should now have a window with Instal DVD (cdrom1) thru Install DVD (cdrom 4) or (cdrom6) in the Medium column, depending on your DVD flavour.

5. Select the first entry (cdrom1) and select edit button on right. New window should pop up.

6. In the url: line, edit the entry to reflect the cdrom source. In my case it was to add a '2' after the word 'cdrom' in the line. ie 'removeable://mnt/cdrom2/media/main'.

7. Select save and a new window should pop up saying its wants to update sources, select OK. The DVD should start to thrash about for a bout 5 mins. Then the edited 'Install DVD (cdrom1)' entry moves to bottom of list.

8. Repeat the above edit to all other entries.

Now you should be ready to install software from MCC via your install DVD.

• 3 weeks later...

With the FOURTH DVD I have managed to get LE2005 up and running, in the usual Mandrake manner of super-easy installation. Much happiness!! Just a small point, which isn't at all important but would like to solve. In 10.1 at boot-time I am presented with two icons (for me and for root), from which I can choose how to boot and only have to supply the approp. password. In 10.2 I have been unable to get this facility: I am only given a double-box that I have to fill in with both user and password. Is the 10.1 arraangement also possible in 10.2, and, if so, how?

I think you might be missing mdkkdm, which was what 10.1 used originally. To double check, you can go into MCC, and then System and Display Manager. From what it sounds you might be using XDM instead. If mdkkdm is already installed, it'll be on this list, so you can change from xdm to mdkkdm.

If not, you can always use urpmi to install it, and then change afterwards.

Hope that helps.

You could type "urpmi mdkkdm" which will install the login screen that you're used to, and then set it accordingly in here.

If not too worried, then you can always leave as is, depending on what you prefer! :P

• 3 weeks later...