Trouble installing 536ep modem drivers under MDK9

daHaas

Hi,

I read some of the posts here, and they were very helpfull in getting me started with the installation of my winmodem. But I ran into some trouble while trying to 'make' the install.

Here's the log of the intallation:

[root@localhost Intel-536ep-453-M90]# make clean

cd coredrv; make clean

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/xxxxx/Documents/Intel-536ep-453-M90/coredrv'

rm -f *.o *~ core

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/xxxxx/Documents/Intel-536ep-453-M90/coredrv'

cd serialdrv;  make clean

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/xxxxx/Documents/Intel-536ep-453-M90/serialdrv'

rm -f *.o *~ core

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/xxxxx/Documents/Intel-536ep-453-M90/serialdrv'

rm -f *.o

rm -f *.o

[root@localhost Intel-536ep-453-M90]# make 536ep

Module precompile check

Current running kernel is: 2.4.19-16mdk

/lib/modules...   autoconf.h exists

diff: /boot/vmlinuz.autoconf.h: No such file or directory

autoconf.h matches running kernel

diff: /boot/vmlinuz.version.h: No such file or directory

version.h matches running kernel

cd coredrv; make 

"PSTN_DEF=-DTARGET_SELAH -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX" 

536ep;

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/xxxxx/Documents/Intel-536ep-453-M90/coredrv'

cc -DTARGET_SELAH -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc    -c -o coredrv.o coredrv.c

cc -DTARGET_SELAH -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc    -c -o clmmain.o clmmain.c

cc -DTARGET_SELAH -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc    -c -o rts.o rts.c

cc -DTARGET_SELAH -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc    -c -o task.o task.c

cc -DTARGET_SELAH -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc    -c -o uart.o uart.c

cc -DTARGET_SELAH -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc    -c -o wwh_dflt.o wwh_dflt.c

ld -r coredrv.o clmmain.o rts.o task.o uart.o wwh_dflt.o 536epcore.lib -o 536epcore.o

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/xxxxx/Documents/Intel-536ep-453-M90/coredrv'

cp coredrv/536epcore.o .

cd serialdrv; make 

"PSTN_DEF=-DTARGET_SELAH -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX" 

536ep;

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/xxxxx/Documents/Intel-536ep-453-M90/serialdrv'

cc -DTARGET_SELAH -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I ../inc    -c -o clmdrvr.o clmdrvr.c

ld -r clmdrvr.o -o 536ep.o

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/xxxxx/Documents/Intel-536ep-453-M90/serialdrv'

cp serialdrv/536ep.o .

[root@localhost Intel-536ep-453-M90]# make install

bash 536ep-inst

running kernel 2.4.19-16mdk

installing hamregistry, used for persistant storage

installing 536EP module

installing 536ep core module

mandrake 536ep-boot script

starting module and utilities

rm: cannot remove `/dev/536ep': Operation not permitted               <------ the problem!

done

The problem is in the before last line. Can anybody assist here.... I really want to ditch Windows XP as my main OS.

Thanks,

Jelmer de Haas

I haven't tried that yet, will try to move the files in this dir.

But regarding the 'utilities', I have no clue whatsoever to what these are, or were I can find them. I am very new to Linux/Mandrake to I do not have a very good understanding about installing drivers.

Utilities anybody?

Thanks

I have tried to rename the mentioned files, but I still have no clue to what the 'utilities' are that have to run, so that doesn't help much. Also I tried to install from logging in as root and thru 'su -root ' but that doesn't really change the outcome.

Is it possible that through the previous attempts the installed files are already in the /dev/ directory with a different permissions? The first time I 'unzipped' the .tgz I did it through Ark. Is it possible that I end up with the wrong permissions compared to using the 'tar -zxvf <archivename>.tgz' method?

Could it be that my install of Mandrake 9 is messed up?

As you can tell I have pretty much no clue left to what is wrong here, and as a total beginner in Linux, I do not know where to find the answers (after trying google and others boards for simmilar problems). So hopefully somebody can jump in and help me out here. Without my modem installed correctly my install of mandrake is pretty much useless.