Lost everything in my "/home/me" partiton

Pepse

It seems like I can't win when upgrading my Linux box. I have Mandriva LE 2K5. Everything was going real good. I was very happy with Mandriva vs 10.1 PowerPack. I have a 120 Gig hard drive and I put Mandriva on it as a clean install. I put a lot of folders of info from my old 30 Gig hard drive onto the new one. And slowly over the last few days I was putting the majority of my music CD's into the "/home/jim" partition. I was using XCDROAST to do this (I am more comfortable with 'Roast than any others), and also using CDDB for the title and track info. To this point I have only used 9.6 Gigs of /home/jim for evrything I have done. I was putting a Robert Plant CD into its own folder from the "music" folder that XCDROAST uses. To transfer I first do a split window then I open the empty folder on the right and then go to the "music" folder and do "Ctrl+A" to "select all" the do F8 to transfer. Well after hitting F8 the screen acted kinda strange and after it was done I clicked out of /home/jim and there were no Icons on the desktop, and the system tray at the bottom had an extra KDiskFree icon. So I rebooted and when it loaded up the only icons were Home, Welcome, Kooka (for my scanner), and Trash. I looked at KDiskFree and it shows that I still have 96.2 Gigs free on my /home/jim. So, I checked Gnome to see if it was different; no, no difference. I discovered that when I went /home/jim the only things there are Desktop, Robert Plant, and tmp. I discovered that I can go to Menu and re-create the links I HAD on my desktop and everything is OK. The KPPP works, nothing is messed up with Mozilla and re-creating the Game links results in the game being where I left off before all this happened. So, although I can get back the regular Linux based link-to icons how in the hell do I get all the music folders and other folders back?

Pepse.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

sounds weird...

have you checked if your folders are possibly marked as hidden folders? have you tried a search for a specific file? if yes, was the entry displayed or did it tell you that the file doesn't exist?

First I checked "show hidden files"; nope, nothing unusual there. Then I went to a Konsole and tried to find any folders, music and others and it kept giving me the same old "no such file or diectory. It's like I lost all linkage between hda and hdc; because as I said when I go to KDiskFree it shows that I have used about 9.x Gigs of hard drive in /home/jim. Then, too, if I go to games or whatever else I had on my desktop before all this happened and create a link-to, and like I said the games are where I left off before all this happened.

It is strange.

Pepse.

as it doesn't find anything, my first idea is: check if your old hdd is still mounted in your /etc/fstab file or if the entry got removed accidently. in the latter case, we could simply mount the drive again.

Just to clarify what I did...........I burned most of my files that are on my old 30 Gig hard drive onto CD then just transferred them off the CD's onto this 120 Gig hard drive. My old hard drive is not connected to this computer. That is the data files. The music CD's I just started burning them in to the hdd like before.

Later. Pepse.

i am quite puzzled, i must admit.

do you have a live cd? if yes, boot it and mount your partitions. then check if the files are visible and how much space is left on your harddisk. maybe it is only a mandriva problem that you cannot see them, but maybe they are totally lost. i have no idea...