mozilla crashes

derxen

Mozilla crashes, on a regular basis. It works fine for a couple of days, then all of a sudden just fails to start. Startng from the command line gives nothing, just a return of the prompt. There are no messages in x-session errors or the syslog. All I can do is remove the whole profile, or just the appreg file, in which case a new profile is made at the next startup.

Has anyone else experienced these crashes? They seem to come regularly, so there might be some cycle or build-up involved.

Also, does anyone know a good and easy way of backing up stuff like mail, passweords and so on? Mail is easy to put back, but I have no idea how to back up the passwords.

thanks in advance

derxen

From a console typr ps -e

look for any intenses os Mozilla find the first one then kill its ID

type kill xxxx

This has happened to me a couple of times and I have used this to fix the problem

As far as why I don't know

ump

When my mozilla fails to start up, ps -e shows no mozilla processes.

I had a look on alt.os.linux.mandrake and someone advised deleting either the XUL.mfas file, the chrome.rdf file, or both. But no one knew what the cause of it is. Meanwhile, I've downloaded mozilla1.2.1, hoping and assuming the bug has been fixed in that version.

derxen

One more thought

When Mozilla fails to start and you do a ps -e are you showing any Java VM prosses.

I seem to remember that I had Mozilla fail to start and found several Java VM I killed them and Mozzilla started fine

I hope this helps

Of course I have slept since the last time this happened to me so please take all advice with a grain of salt.

anyway good luck

ump

hi derxen

I have the same problem ..... after some frustration, I've given up on mozilla.

I know mozilla is great ...blah blah blah .... but the version from mozilla.org won't let me open more than one session from an icon, and the mandrake version keeps crashing.

I've switch completely to phoenix (using the texstar version) and it been running sweet for a while now. I copied my $MOZILLA/plugins to $PHOENIX/plugins and everything works now

hi derxen

I know mozilla is great ...blah blah blah .... but the version from mozilla.org won't let me open more than one session from an icon, and the mandrake version keeps crashing.

I've switch completely to phoenix (using the texstar version) and it been running sweet for a while now. I copied my $MOZILLA/plugins to $PHOENIX/plugins and everything works now

Paul, the mandrake version doesn't let you open a second session either it just uses a script that checks if moz is already running , and if it is it opens another window not a new instance of mozilla.

the script is /usr/bin/mozilla

if you replace all references to the 1.1 libs and executables with the 1.2 versions you can use the icons to open new windows.

either that or copy the mozilla script and edit it and save it as something different like mozilla-1.2.1 and create a desktop icon pointing to it.

hi derxen

Paul, the mandrake version doesn't let you open a second session either it just uses a script that checks if moz is already running , and if it is it opens another window not a new instance of mozilla.

if you replace all references to the 1.1 libs and executables with the 1.2 versions you can use the icons to open new windows.

either that or copy the mozilla script and edit it and save it as something different like mozilla-1.2.1 and create a desktop icon pointing to it.

sweet !!! thanx

The main reason I use mozilla as a browser, and not phoenix or galeon, is that I use the mail client as well. Otherwise I'ld use galeon, and I've heard a lot of good things about phoenix as well.

I installed moz1.2.1 in /usr/local last night, leaving the old moz1.1 in place, and it picked up my profile without problems and has been working well.

Paul: why would you want more than one moz session anyway, instead of just multiple windows?

Ump: no, there were no java processes either, ubless by chance there was a java program running at the same time.

derxen

Paul: why would you want more than one moz session anyway, instead of just multiple windows?

I don't ... I want to be able to open new windows from an icon on my kicker (or desktop ... what ever I'm using at time)

is the perfect answer