Upgrade 10.0 > 2005

Guest wawalker

First, install the kernel 2.6.11-6, as LE2005 needs this, and can get issues with remaining on 2.6.8 kernel. Then after this suggest you do the following as root (su and supply root password):

updatedb

slocate rpmnew

you'll prob need to replace a few of these files, but never replace group.conf with group.conf.rpmnew else you'll have probs! I did it once, but lucky I had a copy taken before I did it. Mostly, they will be related to kdmrc.conf, kdeglobals.conf, nsswitch.conf and a few others.

I am thinking about upgrading to 2005, but I am unsure of this step. Firstly, will the updated Kernel be in the RPM drake to install? And I don't get the part about replacing files fter running that rpmnew command. I just want to make sure I know what to do before I upgrade! Thanks :)

You can update the kernel, but it won't be a part of the normal update. You would have to install manually after the initial upgrade. I usually install the source at the same time, and then you're more or less fine.

If any minor niggles, you can post them here, and we can iron them out! :P

If you can get LE2005 on CD/DVD, suggest that would be the best method. Else, briefly:

1. urpmi.removemedia - a (removes existing media sources)

2. use easyurpmi to point to LE2005. (got to have main, contrib, updates, plf-free, plf-nonfree, jpackage)

3. run urpmi --auto-select --auto (to update everything currently installed).

4. install kernel-2.6.11-6 or higher.

5. install kernel source if you wish.

6. reboot, and see how you get on.

Any issues after, post errors in separate post relating to the problem in hand.