CD-Rom drive problems [solved]

Urza9814

Ok...I've had this problem for a while, but I just kinda assumed/hoped that my secondary drive was screwy. Well, it appears it wasn't. I got brand new DVD drives (drive and burner actually) for my birthday today, and if I have 'em both plugged in...not even the BIOS detects 'em. Windoze will detect that there's SOMETHING there, but every time I go to the 'add hardware wizard' it finds something new, usually named something like 'A @' or 'Co E' or some other weird thing like that, and it only detects one, and if I try to use it, it either says there's no disk or the drive is corrupted. So...is my mobo screwed? Well...screwed more than I already knew....

Edited by Urza9814

Maybe. But, I place these devices on seperate channels and I get that in the bios when the master/slave jumper is not set correctly. So, check that out.

Make sure the ribbon connector is good.

...crap...I need to be more careful...and a new mobo. It appears that whatever was left of that IDE channel vanished in a brilliant blue spark...

...it was pretty though... :P

Both the drives still work...I managed to boot morphix off both on my 5 year old compaq...the BIOS in that detected 'em fine...so I'm pretty sure my mobo was at fault...so I've learned from this several things:

1) wait until it is FULLY shut down before even TOUCHING the power cord (I was getting it close before it had fully shut down because i didn't wanna waste time...and it got a bit too close)

2) Don't buy a cheap mobo (not all of the problems with it were my fault actually...just most :P)

3) If you go to the company's website, and words are overlapping, pages don't exist, and their only form of tech support is a forum with the RMA section locked...that's not a good sign.

4) big blue sparks may be pretty, but they aren't helpful :P

So...now I need a new mobo...are MSI and ASUS any good? Here's what I'm looking at right now:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_techspe...masterid=814637

(and I hope to order ASAP...hopefully by the end of the day)

Edited by Urza9814

An inexpensive board that does well is ASRock. I have had good performance with their all-in-one boards.

Asus is a good board, but tends to be over priced.

Asus is a good board, but tends to be over priced.

Too late :P

I've realized that for 6 PCI slots, AGP, on-board audio and ethernet and all the other crap I want, it should cost more than my CD drive. It's more important. Plus I got a 3 year warranty...which I need...lol

I got my new mobo today...and it's all working great...after a lot of trouble with inserting the CPU fan backwards...lol...

I cut my finger too at some point apparently...I don't know when, but there's a new cut there, so I'm assuming it's from installing the mobo...but...it's worth it :P