software [solved]

Guest cblake

Guest cblake

After reading about the Linux revolution I have decided to try out this software for myself, using a free disk of Mandriva Linux 10.2 stuck to the front of a recently purchased Linux magazine. The installation of the Linux system was unexpectedly easy and all of the components within my Dell laptop were recognized and worked perfectly. Being a, sorry to swear, Windows user I have been spoilt with the ease of installation of third party software titles and was surprised at how confusing the command line process in Linux was. Could any one out there help in letting me know firstly how to install step by step two software titles for Linux, Blender version 2.36 and Inkscape version 0.41. Secondly on both of these software home pages there are several versions of the same software with different suffix such as .rpm, .gz, .bz2, .tar and i386, i386 static, i586 and i686. I have followed the instructions for installing this software, found on this user forum under FAQ without a lot of success. The nearest that I came to installing Blender was to use the tar -xzvf command and the location of the software in my home directory to unpack the files, but after using the CD command to switch to the blender files was unable to then use the ./configure, make, su, make install commands. If you are able to help please please make it simple for a Linux newby, as I would really like to understand this fantastic operating system and open source world.

oh... and in order to install all software with the latest patches, use the easyurpmi-tool (http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi) to set up your software ftp servers. makes life a whole lot easier and faster. :)

you can install everything with a mouse-click in the mcc mentioned above or you can install your applications using the command-line. for installing inkscakpe, you only need to type "urpmi inkscape" as root-user, for xmms "urpmi xmms" etc.

Guest cblake

Thankyou to all who replied to my very long cry for help. This has made installing software childsplay and my experience using Linux software a whole lot more enjoyable. Thanks once again.

By the way, for those who can't use urpmi, you can install things like inkscape really easily just by downloading the right rpm. I got the static rpm for i686 from the downloads page at inkscape.org, and it installed without a murmur (also Mandriva LE2005). My experience of installing from source has been less than stellar, although sometimes Knoppix can manage it ok.