XP drake 9.0 freeze up

Guest Joe Noob

Guest Joe Noob

Well I blew the install, heres the readers digest version.

I tried to reformatt a 6 gig partition to a fat 32 and formatt 20 gigs for drake9.0, went thru the motions with the 9.0 cd. Then I put in the Toshiba restoration cd to install XP on the new fat32 space and it said that it was going to reformatt the whole hard drive so I pulled the cd out and tried to start drake ( I figured I dont need windows anyway) and I get an error messege " Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel"

And now I cant boot or run a cd and I get an error messege with XP the whole thing just freezes.

Help

restore disks are not good for just installing the O/S on a section of the original hard drive. restore disks like to just write over the whole darn thing, and make it the way it was originally. your options basically are: 1)get yourself a windows XP install disk, not a restore disk, and start from the top again (i would suggest installing XP on it's partition first, then installing mandrake-avoids the use of a boot-disk to get back into mandrake and set up LILO again). 2)pick one of the two o/s's and stick with that.

in most cases, i've found restore disks to be of litte or no use. i prefer installing an O/S from it's install disk, and then just adding in the things i want. restore disks tend to have a lot of extra crap i don't need.

Guest Joe Noob

My Toshiba laptop came with 3 cds and none indicate what they are, they all say the same thing with the exception of disk 1, disk 2 or disk 3.

But thats not my real problem, the problem is the cd rom kicks in, I can hear it, but the disks wont run. I had to reset the boot order, through XP, to even try to install drake. So I dont know if some how it defaulted back to the original setup or what . If I could get the rom to work I could just start from scratch

Guest Joe Noob

OK Im back in the pink toshiba tech support got me through it now im back to square one. If Im not misstaken I can use partition magic to shrink XP and set up space for drake so Ill be doing that tonight. So hopefully Ill be talking to you tomarrow through Mandrake 9.0 baby!

If you have Norton Utilities you can make some other changes that will make future operations slightly more efficient. Typically, the swap file and the recovery partition are at the end of the disk. Before running PM, try the following:

1) In Windows>Control Panel>System>Performance>Virtual Memory choose the option to allow you to control it and set it to double/2 1/2 times memory. Ignore the dire warning from Windows.

Reboot the computer. This has the effect of placing your swap file at the start of the disk.

3) Run Norton Speed Disk instead of Defrag. Defrag has the nasty feature of refusing to move files set as "system" by Windows leaving gaps of various sizes behind.

4) Then run PM.

Note that there is a debate about the size of the swap file. Ignore it for now, if ever.

Counterspy

Guest Joe Noob

Ill have to try that counterspy, am I right in thinking that I do this before I load either linux or PM.

One note I tried PM earlier and it seemed to work, it rebooted fine well one little hickup, but when I shut down and restarted again windows gave me the blue screen that says windows shut down blah blah. So I dont know if PM didnt work, or the fact that I defragged after I resiezed the windows partition or if it was something else I need to do like counterspy suggested. I do know that the 9.0 cds work fine, tried them on another computer, and my brand new laptops cdrom and HD are taking a beating :cry: But I did buy it for dual booting linux

I've done this before so this should work.

1. Use you're backup disk to install XP, let it do whatever.

2. start XP and dont do anything except disabling system restore and defragging.

3. Install PM, don't bother defragging just resize XP.

4. Reboot and let PM do its thing.

5. Install linux.

6. Boot into XP and reenable system restore if you think you'll need it. Chances are you will.

Joe, when you do get it all ready to go here is where I posted info on how to dual boot XP/MDK. It is pretty simple and I learned it after reading for hours on the net about 10 different ways to do it that I didn't understand.

This is basically 3 simple steps, 4 if you count making a linux boot floppy but you should do that anyway during step 1, installing Linux.

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...t=1841&start=15