Broken threads - "Checking root file system" &

Kieth

Since I loaded Mandrake 10.1, I have always had problems with the occasional "Checking root fille system". It wants to check the root system every 4 or 5 times that I turn on my computer. This was not on the other Mandrake distributions. In fact, it doesn't work. A message comes up say that it will check the system on the next boot. Then on the next boot, it just sits there, never checking the root system. I've let it set for a loooong time, but - nothing. The only thing to do is to re-set the computor. I would like to get rid of this "option" totally, or make it actually check the root file system.

Now, for about a week, I'm having trouble with the CUPS system. The normal message, "Starting CUPS printing system" comes up, but CUPS never loads. It just sits there, doing nothing. Once again, the only thing to do is to re-set the computer.

In both of the above cases, after I re-set the computer, while re-booting, the message "Your system seems to have shut down uncleanly. Pres Y within 5 seconds to force file system integrity". I do that, and everything loads up.

/dev/capi20 and /dev/isdn/capi20 (a link) is also not loading. I do not know its purpose, but the only thing I found to do is to change it's permissions from root to kieth, and it will normally load on the next boot. But the next time I turn my computer on, it will not load up again.

About a month ago, I bought a Canon LIDE 20 scanner, which works great with linux. When it is recognized when I boot, an icon appears on the desktop. Now, it often isn't recognized.

Could the above problems be related to a particular problem? Any ideas on how to resolve them?

Thanks,

Kieth

Oh, something just came to mind. Recently, I loaded a lot of programs for grafical editing, trying to find one I like (and am able to understand, so I can use it :cheesy: ). The problem with checking the root file system I have had from the beginning, but the other problems only recently. Therefore there might be a connection between these latest loads the the problems.

Kieth

a couple of questions:

-what filesystem are you running on your partitions?

-have you applied all patches for your system with easyurpmi?

-was it a clean install of 10.1 or an upgrade?

-are you using 10.1 CE or OE?

-hardware specs of your computer?

Thanks for the reply. I'm not very good with computers (I'm a Keeg - opposite of Geek!), so I need to admit that I do not know what filesystem I run. I've added all patches. What I do is update with MCC frequently. I did a clean install with 10.1 OE. I have a new computer - AMD Athlon64 3000. I have 2 hard drives, 80 GB and 20 GB. Linux is on the 80 and WXP on the 20. I also have /backup on the 20 GB. There is a Radeon 9200 graphics card, with 128 mb of memory. There is over 700 mb of memory. There is a analog video capture card, a cd burner and a dvd drive.

I continue having problems. Even this morning it blocked while loading CUPS, so I had to reset the computer. Any idea as to what I might try, to see if I could resolve the problem. I would be happy just to have a guess. If I end up messing up everything while trying, I'll just do another clean install. Thanks.

I decided to add a "reply" to this thread one more time (to get it to the top of the list :blush: ), and put in one more plea for help. Everytime I boot up, it stops at where it has to load CUPS. I have to reboot, then press y when it asks if I want an integrity check. Otherwise, it will not start. Even after doing that, at times there are still some difficulties. For instance, this time it did not put the dynamic link for my scanner on my desktop. :help:

• 2 weeks later...

When it stops, have you pressed ESC to see if it continues?

I've known LE2005 to sometimes stop at interactive setup and not continue unless you press the i key. Then it continues. But this problem doesn't always occur.

Yes, I have pressed the esc key, but nothing helps. I have to always re-set the computer. I removed CUPS, then put it back on - no luck. I would have to re-set the computer at least 3 times to load linux. Yesterday, I finally got "fed" up, and did a clean install, going from 10.1 to Mandrivia 2005. Now everything works. :P

I do have another question though. It takes a bit to load portmapper (it always loads though). Is it necessary? Is there a way to make it load faster?

if you are not using nfs, you probably don't need portmapper, so it should be safe to disable it in the mcc → system → services unless you are using gnome. then it can be necessary for running the desktop properly (due to the need for fam, the file alteration monitor).

ps.: sorry for not answering before. i had forgotten about this topic :woops:

Ok, I put in all the updates. Yes, I did up grade from 10.1 to LE2005. Everything works but sound (an old thread I had with 10.1, too, and never got to working :wacko:) and my tv card (which will be another thread if I do not get it working. :cheesy:

Kieth

It may be that your sound isn't working due to some rpmnew files. su and supply root password. Then type "updatedb", this will update the slocate database. Then type "slocate rpmnew". There may be some files listed.

I took copies of the .conf files, and then replaced with the .conf.rpmnew files that slocate found. I think the one that related to sound was the kdeglobals.conf.rpmnew which replaced kdeglobals.conf.

That sorted my sound problem after I upgraded from 10.1 to LE2005.