Thunderbird won't start

Guest Jelfish

Guest Jelfish

I'm sort of new to Linux but decided to switch to get away from spyware and the like. I wanted to get Thunderbird because I was using it on Windows and wanted to keep all of my emails from my inbox. I have the profile folder from the Windows Thunderbird and am sure that I have all of my email.

Here's what I did on Mandriva:

I downloaded Thunderbird from the Mozilla website to my desktop.

I opened a terminal and did the 'tar xvzf thunderbird.etc.etc' thing.

I went into the new Thunderbird folder on my desktop and click the file named 'thunderbird'.

I see a button for Thunderbird open in my task bar. A few seconds later, that button disappears and that's all. No error message and no windows pop up.

I have a feeling I installed it incorrectly or in the wrong location. In what folder are such program folders usually placed?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

hello and welcome aboard :)

try the following: open a terminal (e.g. konsole) and launch thunderbird from there (you might need to cd to your thunderbird directory (→ cd /directory/where/thunderbird/is). the terminal will show might show you an error message. post the contents of the error massage in here.

edit: just an idea: set up your software mirrors via the easy-urpmi tool (link is at top of this page) and install thunderbird either via the terminal, using the urpmi-command or the mandrake-control-center. that might be the easiest way. ;)

Edited by arctic

Guest Jelfish

When I try to run it from Konsole, it gives me 'bash: thunderbird: command not found'. Actually, I can't even tab complete it. When I ls the folder, it's in green and with a star. Is there a command I need to use to run that file?

I'm going to try the urpmi thing now.

Thanks for the responses!

Edited by Jelfish

Guest Jelfish

Ah that did something. Here's the error message:

./thunderbird-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannotopen shared object file: No such file or directory

Perhaps this is what scarecrow was talking about.

Guest Jelfish

Ok - new error message:

*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x08edf690 ***

./run-mozilla.sh: line 159: 15410 Aborted "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

Look familiar at all?

Guest Jelfish

Ok - I installed it with the urpmi command and it works now. I'm still a bit curious about what happened with the downloaded package, but I guess it's not that important now.

Thanks again everyone.

That's interesting; someone trying to run Mozilla's Sunbird package reports a very similar error. I seem to recall there was a small problem with glibc in 2005 that one of the devs posted a workaround for on the Cooker list, will have to check my archives...