apt-get and yum

Guest doy1937

Guest doy1937

what is the differance between mandrake, fedora and red hat? Reason is can i use

apt-get or yum or smart to also download updates. Mandrake does install yum using urpmi, but it does not work. I'm using 10.1 Doy

Yum is for RedHat/ Fedora based systems. Mandy uses urpmi by default, but it can also use apt-get/synaptic (it does work quite well), and Smart Package Manager (still problematic/experimental, but it seems it will be the default package manager in Mandriva 2006).

Many RedHat/Fedora RPM's can be installed in Mandy (and actually work), but however I strongly advice you avoiding such a thing...

what is the differance between mandrake, fedora and red hat?

ummm.. they are different distros that all use the rpm (redhat package manager) system.

fedora is commonly called the redhat "test-bed" (= stable stuff from fedora will go into redhat later) although it is quite different from the redhat releases. more advanced, more experimental, more for intermediate and advanced users imho (a lot of packages tend to break. my personal experience. but i still love fedora).

mandrake/mandriva is a distro that is based on fedora rpms but it does a lot of things different from fedora. actually, the rpms from mandriva are not really redhat/fedora rpms any more, afaik. they add their own customizations to the rpms (e.g. compile them for i586 machines, instead if i386 machines). the system layout is also different, the default desktop is different, the package manager is different (urpmi).

the most important thing that all of them have in common is that they and their packaging systems do work and they can use even "not-native" package managers like apt-get. the differences... well, check their homepages, read a bit, then install the systems and you will see the differences. ;)

Edited by arctic