Arch: no Xorg config file

hi,

first a long background... :)

i got a few minutes to burn last night (while the wife was not looking) so i decided to install the dri drivers for the savage chips so i will get something more than 20fps on a medium sized screen.

good thing about arch is that the kernel source is already out there and i dont have to download anything (hey, im the guy with no internet at home :( ). the install script went fine with the compilation,detection and installation and X started fine. then when i read that i have to fix a few options in the xorg.conf file. the problem was that i couldnt find the damn config file. i even searched all the possibilities enumerated in the man page and still nothing! i also listed everh .conf* file in /etc and /usr and i didnt get a hit. but surely it should be reading something because i have been using X since day 1.

then i decided to look at the one in mdk so i mounted my partitions and i also dont have any xorg configuration file. :angry:

wife came back and nagged me into sleeping since its already midnight so i put everything off. this morning while my wife was preparing breakfast i snucked into the computer area and booted arch. with the sleep i had i got the sense to look at the logs. there i found out that it could not open the config file :duh: and started to build one on-the-fly which is a pretty bare 53 line configuration. the hitch was it defaulted some options (mouse, keyboard,etc.) because it was not part of the runtime configuration.

now my question, does xorg have a utility for generating a basic configuration file based on the detected system specs? does arch have one (probably not)? i think XFdrake can generate one but can somebody confirm that I can use it safely in arch?

i know i should start googling but what are you here for. :twisted:

ciao!

you can try running:

xorgconfig

though it doesn't do autodetection, it asks you questions and you [try to] answer them.

in arch it should be reading:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Edited by tyme

you can try running:

xorgconfig

though it doesn't do autodetection, it asks you questions and you [try to] answer them.

as long as i leave the refresh rates alone (i have yet to hunt down the monitor manual) then im good, no? or would using a mandrake-generated one be a better route?

in arch it should be reading:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

that is what bugs me, i dont have that file. good thing the defaults of Xorg works fine that I did not notice it till now.

ciao!

thanks scarecrow. im already hitting the antesis mirror to get the files i need.

note to self: speedup python reading so i can start my pyarch downloader with automatic package dependency resolution. or get pacman to compile and work in cygwin. :D

ciao!

yeah. actually i did not copy your instruction in paper and only remembered that i needed the x option and i went by the package name. the basic config works great (but i did reduce the horizontal/vertical refresh until i find the manual). there a lots of things to be taken out but its a start. direct rendering with savage still does not work but ill see if i can investigate further this weekend.

thanks again scarecrow.

ciao!

Edited by ramfree17

Wasn´t the xorg.conf file originally XF86Config-4 ???.

On your system it might be that one, and would explain why the xorg.conf one is not there.

They both do virtually do the same thing, have same settings etc., the xorg.conf is now the only one used in 2005 where as both were in 10.1 and XF86 was I think the only one in 9.1.

Cheers. John.

they dont have one but i might be mistaken in mdk since i just mounted the partition and did a haphazard search for [Xx]*conf. at least i can vouch in arch because even the logs resorted to the built-in configuration (which I dont know if its hardcoded or it is another config file somewhere). the built-in one was good enough and my not noticing i dont have a x config file is a testament to that.

when i ran hwd -x and renamed the file to xorg.conf, the X logs showed that it was using that file. and i saw what scarecrow said with _a little tweaking_ since it discarded a lot of the modelines and font settings. :cheesy:

ciao!

There is no XF86Config-4* in Arch Linux... they use xorg exlusively since many months ago, and the package creates no symlinks and stuff- almost pure vanilla. Not even xorg.conf after installation, you must either run xorgcfg, or xorgconfig, or (IMO best) install hwd and then hwd -x, as I suggested above.

hwd was at first a wrapper for Knoppix based hardware detection, but currently it is Knoppix independent, and much more complex (and useful).

Edited by scarecrow