Sound recorder problem in gnome

finlay

I'm trying to set up Skype. I can connect but can't use mic. I ran sound recorder to test the mic and get "Failed to create Gstreamer encoding elements. Check your encoding setup" I have no idea what this means. Can anyone help, please?

Mdriva 2005 LE

AC 97 audio controller,

Alsa driver

BTW I get no sound in Amarok though sound in general works.

Finlay

Well, use the recording level monitor instead (should be in the same menu). If you want to fix the recorder, you probably have some gstreamer package or other missing; run rpmdrake, search for gstreamer, and install the heck out of everything...

Thanks both. I have checked full duplex in KDE and max priority. If I run artsdsp -m skype as user I can hear echo123 (on speakers) but no mic input. If I run artsdsp skype as root I get /dev/dsp-1: Device or resource busy. In gnome, esddsp skype does nothing.

My sound system works pretty well otherwise. Oh well, I guess I'll have to carry out all the instructions in the Skype for Linux FAQ. Seems an awful job though.

Open kmix and change the mic (from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1) you're using. :) Then try artsdsp skype again (not as root). If that doesn't work you need to kill artsd before you start a call. (start skype (no artsdsp),open a console and type killall artsd, start a conversation). If that doesn't work try dmix.

I can't see any way of changing the mic in kmix. How do you do that? I just see a mic - no 1, no 2.

Open kmix and change the mic (from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1) you're using. :) Then try artsdsp skype again (not as root). If that doesn't work you need to kill artsd before you start a call. (start skype (no artsdsp),open a console and type killall artsd, start a conversation). If that doesn't work try dmix.

Many thanks. I changed to mic 2 using alsamixer but no joy. Mic still doesn't work. No options work. If I killall artsd I get no sound in skype at all. so I guess it's off to find out how to do dmix....