connect to network printer in xp

Becky636

:banana: Hi all,

I just reciently got MAndrak 10 up and running Thanks to some very special pleople here..

Thanks you them :beer:

I will be buying the Linux for Dummies book this week.

But for now I have this question :

I have another pc on my home network (Win XP) and I have this one on the Mandrake 10..

How can I get it to see my HP compute running XP to use the printer on that computer

Is there a network configuring program for mandrak LIke XP has >>

Thanks

ANy other info u keed LEt me know

Becky

:thanks:

you should have CUPS installed in your mdk box to be able to use the shared printer from your XP, fyi, not all printers are supported by CUPS or linux, some printers are winprinters, well, if you have tried it already in your mdk, that is, installed the printer directly to your linux box to check if it really supports that printer... then there should be no prblem by printing via network...

opss: if not yet installed... #urpmi cups then you should start it as a service, you can manage it thru kde-control-center -- peripherals -- printers

Edited by aioshin

This printer does not have a free CUPS backend, you need to purchase the commercial ESP print pro PPD for CUPS (PPD name is en/eshp1210.ppd.gz). It ain't cheap (49 dollars).

You may ask why HP does not provide a free PPD for the printer, but you'd better ask the (nonexistent) HP customer support, here you are unlikely to receive a convincing answer...

Anyway, try to run "kcontrol" and within it the printer configuration part, and adding a new SMB printer without the commercial module. Its not very likely to work, though.

Edited by scarecrow

allright I have now messed up linux

I was doing upgades and Not it will not start The configuration tool or ther software package program

gee does linux have a system restore ?? :evilmod:

even harddrake will not start

Edited by Becky636

Ouch...

As several packages do not work, it is probably a problem with something else stopping them running, like a kde library.

Try

urpmi --auto-select

to upgrade from the command line. This may fix your problem.

You can install packages from the command line as root - for the control centre, type urpmi draktools. urpmi rpmdrake for the installer.

To get a clue as to the problem if it still exists, start the program from the command line - you will get text output. For instance, to start the control centre, type mcc.

If you install kpackage (yep - urpmi kpackage) you can view and search all the installed packages and dependencies easier than with the mandrake tools.

Chris

Lesson number 2 in Linux is never doing full updates when X is running, and never updating the kernel without a backup of the previous one.

Linux does not have system restore because it does not need it, but it has full system backup utils like parted.

Edited by scarecrow

Ouch...

As several packages do not work, it is probably a problem with something else stopping them running, like a kde library.

Try

urpmi --auto-select

to upgrade from the command line. This may fix your problem.

root@localhost becky]# urpmi --auto-select

Can't locate URPM.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm line 16.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm line 16.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/urpmi line 22.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/urpmi line 22.

You can install packages from the command line as root - for the control centre, type urpmi draktools. urpmi rpmdrake for the installer.

To get a clue as to the problem if it still exists, start the program from the command line - you will get text output. For instance, to start the control centre, type mcc.

[root@localhost becky]# mcc

Segmentation fault

If you install kpackage  (yep - urpmi kpackage) you can view and search all the installed packages and dependencies easier than with the mandrake tools.

[root@localhost becky]#  urpmi kpackage

Can't locate URPM.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm line 16.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm line 16.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/urpmi line 22.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/urpmi line 22.

:furious3::furious3::furious3::furious3::furious3::furious3::furious3::furious3:

[formatted by spinynorman]

What are your media? Also before your urpmi --auto-select did you run urpmi.update -a? By the way I have never had a problem running urpmi --auto-select from X. But check your urpmi media. If your rpm database is messed up you can also run rpm --rebuilddb.

I think this means you need the perl-URPM package (and possibly some others?)- you will have to install them from the command line with the rpm command.

Stick your install CD/DVD in the drive and cd to the RPMS directory.

Type

rpm -Uvh <packagename>

to install any package. Note packagename must be the full filename when using rpm - something like perl-URPM- x.xx-xmdk.i586.rpm

You should be able to install kpackage this way - then if it runs, you could use that to install graphically/search for packages you may need if you like.

The problem with rpm is it doesn't resolve dependencies for you - justs prints a list of packages the package you are trying to install needs. If this happens to you, you can specify multiple packages on a single line, e.g.

rpm -Uvh <packagename1> <packagename2> <packagename3>

Once you have urpmi running, things are a bit easier...

Good luck!

Chris

Edit:

If the problem has been caused by upgrading perl, you may have to 'downgrade' it.

To do this, the command rpm -Uvh --force <packagename_from_the_CD> should do the trick.

Check to see what perl packages are installed, then reinstall them all from the CD.

Edited by streeter

Probably - perhaps it is time for a fresh install, if there's not too much work to lose?

You will probably find it easier the second time around - you will have gained lots of experience whilst sorting out your problems :)

Chris