Keyboard Problems

Guest Mystal

Guest Mystal

I have a Microsoft Wireless keyboard on a computer I built a few months ago. I installed Mandriva just fine and have used it for over two weeks now, but for some strange reason, my keyboard, which worked perfectly fine, stopped working... I turn on Linux and at the login screen I try to type my password and it will not display any characters or anything. When I run failsafe, I can use this keyboard, I even tried using another keyboard in failsafe and it worked, but at the login screen it won't type. Anybody have any ideas?

If you can still run windows on this computer verify if the keyboard works or not with windows.

If it does not, it means that the problem is the keyboard itself (batteries, beakdown...).

Do you have other devices working wireless ?

Sometimes each other interferes generating communication parasites.

Bye.

Guest Mystal

Yes, that is how I posted on here, using Windows with the same keyboard. Also, my mouse is wireless, working just fine on both Windows and Linux.

When you say you cannot use the keyboard at login, do you mean the graphical login and the display manager ??? If you do then it is most likely not a problem with your keyboard. This is a problem with

with Mandriva and or KDE. Many have experienced it, I certainly have especially if you have updated KDE to 3.4. It is not certain where the trouble lies at the moment. I presume you are using KDE of course.

I am pretty sure your keyboard is OK. The fact that it works in failsafe confirms it. The login screen is the problem. Using failsafe brings you up to a single user mode where you keyboard in the necessaries to get to the GUI start of KDE, doesn't it ???. In your account it works or in root as well so it means your keyboard is well.

If you have gone the KDE3.4 route then I suggest you select Gnome and when you get in, Uninstall everything KDE3.4 and reinstall KDE3.3. You should have no further trouble in trying to login to KDE again.

Cheers. John

Edited by AussieJohn